No success with new keyless entry FOB programming

Has anyone had success with programming a new keyless entry fob on a 2006-2009 RX400H? I keep finding the same instructions on various websites but none of them work. I have successfully programmed a new key for the vehicle but can’t figure out how to program the fob. 

3 hours ago, jonny0017 said:

Has anyone had success with programming a new keyless entry fob on a 2006-2009 RX400H? I keep finding the same instructions on various websites but none of them work. I have successfully programmed a new key for the vehicle but can’t figure out how to program the fob. 

Programming a keyless entry fob for a 2006-2009 Lexus RX400H can be a bit tricky, but I’ll do my best to help! Here are some steps you can try:

1. Separately Program the Key (Chip): First, ensure that the key itself (the chip inside) has been programmed by a dealer or locksmith to start the car. This step is essential and separate from programming the remote buttons on the key.

2. Driver’s Door Open, Other Doors Closed:

• Make sure the driver’s door is open, and all other doors are closed.
    • Remove the key from the ignition.
  3. Programming the Remote Buttons:

• Insert the key into the ignition and remove it twice (within 5 seconds).
    • Close and open the driver’s door twice (within 40 seconds).
    • Insert the key into the ignition and remove it once (within 40 seconds).
    • Close and open the driver’s door twice (within 40 seconds).
    • Insert the key into the ignition and leave it in.
    • Close the driver’s door.
    • Turn the ignition on and off twice (within 5 seconds).
    • Remove the key from the ignition.
    • You should hear a beep to indicate successful programming.
    • Test the remote buttons to ensure they work.
  4. Repeat for Additional Fobs:

• If you have additional fobs, repeat the process for each one.

Remember that these instructions may vary slightly depending on the specific model year and trim level of your Lexus RX400H. If you’re still having trouble, consider checking out video tutorials for visual guidance:

Good luck, and I hope this helps you get your keyless entry fob working!

12 hours ago, RX400h said:

Thank you for your response. I was able to program the key and chip by myself successfully. It starts the car as it should. 

I did find the steps you forwarded to me previously and have tried them multiple times to no avail. I even tried to turn the key “on and off 3 times” to see if the car would tell me how many were already programmed, but that didn’t work. It seems I can’t get the vehicle to enter programming mode. 

I wonder if I have to get one of the special tools to program it through the OBD? 

thank you for your response. It just doesn’t seem to be working for me. 

On 8/4/2024 at 8:25 AM, jonny0017 said:

Thank you for your response. I was able to program the key and chip by myself successfully. It starts the car as it should. 

I did find the steps you forwarded to me previously and have tried them multiple times to no avail. I even tried to turn the key “on and off 3 times” to see if the car would tell me how many were already programmed, but that didn’t work. It seems I can’t get the vehicle to enter programming mode. 

I wonder if I have to get one of the special tools to program it through the OBD? 

thank you for your response. It just doesn’t seem to be working for me. 

I'd be frustrated, too if I were in your shoes. Did you check to see what the dealership would charge you to do this?

8 hours ago, RX400h said:

I'd be frustrated, too if I were in your shoes. Did you check to see what the dealership would charge you to do this?

I’m afraid to but it looks like I’m going to have to explore that route. A locksmith near me will cut a new key and “attempt” to program the remote for $175. They say “attempt” because they can’t even guarantee they can do it.  
It looks like my other option would be to buy one of those OBD tools to be able to do it, but those are $300-500. 

On 8/5/2024 at 9:31 PM, RX400h said:

Yuck! The dealer wants $234 just to program the keyless entry. That’s with me supplying the new fob! Highway robbery!

16 hours ago, jonny0017 said:

Yuck! The dealer wants $234 just to program the keyless entry. That’s with me supplying the new fob! Highway robbery!

It is, but most likely they have expensive equipment that allows them to do this. When I get a vehicle smog-checked, I get charged $70 for 5 minutes of work. 
I had an auto locksmith sell me a new key fob and programing of my 2008 Mazda MX5 for $500. That's crazy money!

6 minutes ago, RX400h said:

It is, but most likely they have expensive equipment that allows them to do this. When I get a vehicle smog-checked, I get charged $70 for 5 minutes of work. 
I had an auto locksmith sell me a new key fob and programing of my 2008 Mazda MX5 for $500. That's crazy money!

Crazy money! This would simply be a backup FOB so I don’t necessarily need it. I’m going to pass it up for now.  Maybe one day I’ll get one of those $500 systems and do it myself. I can pay it off quickly by offering it as a service maybe for others. 

• Like 1