oil smell

Hello,

Car is 2002 es300, 1ith 130k miles.

lately I am smelling some burnt oil, especially after going 20+ miles and stopping the car. Oil level itself is fine. The stick level is within the range even after 3800 miles. (I do change oil and filter every 5k or less). Otherwise car runs great!

Look at the head it looks like some oil leak at valve cover (pictures attached), but then why oil level is still good? Do i need to fix this right away or it can wait a bit?

I asked local shop and they are asking $300, is that reasonable for valve cover work?

Thanks in advance.

-M

20240303_100218.jpg

20240303_100228.jpg

Leaking valve covers will allow oil onto hot engine parts or the exhaust manifold, which will create a burned oil smell. If the oil is getting hot enough to smell then yes you do need to fix that right away. It doesn't take much of an oil leak to create the smell and a problem. There is a very real possibility of an engine fire if the oil leak gets any bigger.

A plugged up PCV Valve can also cause issues and create a burned oil smell. As far as quoted price, that is about an hour and a half labour and parts, so seems pretty reasonable to me.

Thanks Dean, 

I guess I need to get this fixed right away. Might as well replace pcv and egr along with it.

I am also wondering why stick is not showing lower oil level? Is there anything else wrong, besides valve cover? 

Thanks again

M

You aren't leaking enough for it to show on the dipstick. As far as anything else wrong, have the dealer go over the car when it is in. At minimum, scan for codes. Pretty hard to remote diagnose with no codes or symptoms to work with. Best of luck.