Locked out!

Lloyds-son

2002 Lexus SC430

Help! I Just replaced the passenger door actuator assembly and checked the locks. The new passenger door lock works but it locks when the drivers door lock opens. It tried a variety of resets to get the system working in sync with each other - pulled the door fuses, tried locking/unlocking multiple times with the key fob then with the interior door lock switches. Nothing I tried worked to sync the two door locks. Eventually I decided it was time to call it quits for the day. I rolled down the drivers door window and made sure, both doors were unlocked I closed the hood then closed the drivers door - as soon as the door closed both doors automatically locked and the window rolled up automatically. I figured no problem I’ll use the manual key but when I rotated it to the unlocked position it makes a click but fails to unlock the door.  I can’t get into the engine compartment, the key fob won’t open the trunk or the doors or even sound the alarm system.

What can I do to get into the car?

1. Check the Battery: Ensure that your car battery is fully charged. Sometimes low voltage can cause issues with the door locks. If the battery is fine, proceed to the next steps.

2. Door Lock Actuator: Since you’ve already replaced the passenger door actuator assembly, it’s essential to verify that it’s functioning correctly. The actuator might be faulty or not properly synchronized. Here’s what you can do:

• Reset the System: Disconnect the car battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it. This can sometimes reset the system.
    • Reprogram the Key Fob: Try reprogramming your key fob. Hold down the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. Then, press the lock button again. If successful, the locks should cycle once.
    • Inspect the Actuator Wiring: Check the wiring connections to the actuator. Ensure they are secure and not damaged.
    • Test the Manual Lock/Unlock Switch: Use the interior door lock switch on the driver’s side armrest. If it still doesn’t work, proceed to the next step.
  3. Common Issues: Since both doors are affected, let’s consider common factors:

• Central Locking Module: There might be an issue with the central locking module that controls both doors. Unfortunately, this module is usually located inside the door panel. You may need professional assistance to diagnose and fix it.
    • Fuse Check: Verify the door lock fuse. Sometimes a blown fuse can cause erratic behavior. Refer to your car’s manual for the fuse location.
    • Door Lock Settings: Some Lexus models allow you to customize door lock settings. For instance, you can choose whether all doors unlock or only the driver’s door when using the key fob. Check your owner’s manual for instructions on adjusting these settings.
  4. Emergency Access:

• Trunk Release: If you can access the trunk, try using the trunk release button. Sometimes this can unlock all doors.
    • Fuel Door Opener: Look for the fuse box inside the trunk (rear, driver’s side). There’s a red 10 Amp fuse that covers the fuel door opener switch. Check if it’s blown1.
    • Garage Door Opener Trick: This might sound odd, but some Lexus owners have reported success by using their garage door opener. Here’s how:
      1. Clear any codes in the car (hold buttons 1 and 3 until they blink fast).
      2. Press the car’s open button (#1) and hold it up to a working garage door opener.
      3. Push the learn button on the garage door.
      4. Press and hold the #1 car button until it blinks fast.
      5. Release it and, within 5 seconds, press the #1 car button to see if the garage opens.
  5. Professional Help: If none of the above works, consider seeking professional assistance. A certified mechanic or a Lexus dealership can diagnose the issue more accurately.

Remember, patience is key when troubleshooting car problems. Good luck, and I hope you regain access to your car soon! 🚗

Update to my locked out situation.  Called professional locksmith and had door opened door for me. 

Resolution to the problems 1) mechanical key lock -interior connection rod was not connected or inserted in the mechanism to operate the lock.  Now fixed. 

Ordered and installed new door actuator from Rock Auto.  Both locks working properly and are now in sync with one another.  

Problem seems to have been the inexpensive Chinese made door motors I installed  into each door actuator a couple years ago - they worked but pressing lock on the key fob = opening the door locks and pressing unlock on the key fob = locked doors.  Again, the new actuators work as the factory intended.  So all is well and lessons learned. 

Update to my locked out situation.  Called professional locksmith and had door opened door for me. 

Resolution to the problems 1) mechanical key lock -interior connection rod was not connected or inserted in the mechanism to operate the lock.  Now fixed. 

Ordered and installed new door actuator from Rock Auto.  Both locks working properly and are now in sync with one another.  

Problem seems to have been the inexpensive Chinese made door motors I installed  into each door actuator a couple years ago - they worked but pressing lock on the key fob = opening the door locks and pressing unlock on the key fob = locked doors.  Again, the new actuators work as the factory intended.  So all is well and lessons learned.