Inner Cv Joints/driveshafts

ArmyofOne

ok, the inner CV joint ont he right side of my car has begun to grind. if the joint comes off plane (if the right wheel is lower that the left wheel) then the joint will grind. its only doing it in reverse while turning off plane...

1st question, i was quoted $659.72 to replace. they will replace the drive axles, the inner and out CV joints, all as one unit. also all the bushings that they have to remove to get to them will likely be replaced, along with wheel bearings repacked. Fair Price? i could do it myself, but i do not have time, and it seems as if the bicycle will be coming out of the garage for a few more weeks (which may be a good thing, cause i need to lose about 20 more lbs before i go active duty in Feb).

2nd question, how much time to i have? how long can idrive it before they go completely, and what will happen when they do?

my main concern here, is the trans...1500 miles ago, the transaxle fluid was BLACK. i had a drain and fill done. it took 2.8 quarts. thats all fine and dandy, but i would rather not have the trans fall out on me 2 weeks after i have this done. so what im wondering is, how much fluid will drain out? all of it? more than half?? i really hope not, because i dont need the trans to fall out of this car. and if i put more than half of the fluid in, i have a sneaky suspision i will need a new trans before christmas. it hasnt given me any slip at all unless i drive it REALLLY hard, wayy harder than any ever day driving, so should i be ok? i just want to make sure all the fluid is not going to come out of the trans is all.

now the fluid that comes out will be from the diff correct? so abotu how much should i expect? also, can i refill the diff through the dipstick? or do i have to "pump" the fluid in the old fashioned way?

I will tell you the same thing I told you on CL.

Just replace the 1/2 shafts yourself. In the long run it is cheaper. You can get them for less than $65 each. The Haynes manaul for a the same year Camry should be the same for this operation.

From a simple drain of the tranny without dropping the pan, 3-4 qts is about right. The overall volume is about 3 time that but most of this volume is in the torque converter and doesn't drain out unless you pull the converter. Several simple drain and fills over the course of the next 1-2000 miles should bring your color back. The diff and the tranny are filled throught he dipstick.

good luck.

steviej

The diff and the tranny are filled throught he dipstick.

good luck.

steviej

sorry fro cross posting Steviej, just trying toget as many opinions/facts as possible.

the diff can be filled through the dipstick too? i was just told a minute ago it had to be pumped back in?? im confused now, i will consult the haynes manual...

the diff can be filled through the dipstick too? i was just told a minute ago it had to be pumped back in?? im confused now, i will consult the haynes manual...

sorry, I have 2002 ES on the brain. I believe you are right, it is a separate fill.

here is a link to a tranny thread with pics that was just put in the ES forum by another member (mxl4729). check it out, it may help you alot.

steviej

I have the 1997 ES 300 and the differential is a separate part of the transmission and must be drained and refilled separately. it is not that easy to do if you are just putting the car up on jack stands. because you are going to have to really get in there. Once you drain it you need to refill it with a suction gun which could end up all over you face if you are not carefull. Mine took .9 liters of dexron III and i was good to go. If you give me the year of your car and what info you need and I can pull it up on Alldata for you.

I have the 1997 ES 300 and the differential is a separate part of the transmission and must be drained and refilled separately.  it is not that easy to do if you are just putting the car up on jack stands.  because you are going to have to really get in there.  Once you drain it you need to refill it with a suction gun which could end up all over you face if you are not carefull.  Mine took .9 liters of dexron III and i was good to go.  If you give me the year of your car and what info you need and I can pull it up on Alldata for you.

1990 Lexus ES250, 2.5L V6, Auto Trans

i am going to have a different shop do it. $356.74 Labor only. still too high?

i could do it myself, i just dont have the time, and that diff doesnt make things any easier. ineed to tell the guy at the new place not to flush anything, my trans may not work if he does.

now that i have some clear answers, one last thing

does the Differential fluid have any relation whattsoever to the Transaxle? and will the diff slip if the fluid in it is burned and then given new?

I have the 1997 ES 300 and the differential is a separate part of the transmission and must be drained and refilled separately.  it is not that easy to do if you are just putting the car up on jack stands.  because you are going to have to really get in there.  Once you drain it you need to refill it with a suction gun which could end up all over you face if you are not carefull.  Mine took .9 liters of dexron III and i was good to go.  If you give me the year of your car and what info you need and I can pull it up on Alldata for you.

i could do it myself, i just dont have the time, and that diff doesnt make things any easier. ineed to tell the guy at the new place not to flush anything, my trans may not work if he does.

does the Differential fluid have any relation whattsoever to the Transaxle? and will the diff slip if the fluid in it is burned and then given new?

the diff will not slip becasue there is nothing to slip. there is a gear that directly drives other gears. the fluid is just to lube them.

the diff just lets the wheels move at different speeds when going around turns

the diff will not slip becasue there is nothing to slip. there is a gear that directly drives other gears. the fluid is just to lube them.

thats what i figured, but wanted to make sure...

i may have JP imports do it (they are kinda far away (50 miles) for me to drive on bad CV joints, BUT, if he can do it for cheaper, then it will be worth it.

my only issue is that it will take me a ful day to get out there, have hin look at my car and come back, i cant take the time off of work and i have classes most nights.

however, jason reccomended ONLY replacing the boots and overhauling the CV joints. i need to save money, and i am wondering if this will cost more than just replacing the axles, as it is quicker to replace the axles.

thats what i figured, but wanted to make sure...

i may have JP imports do it (they are kinda far away (50 miles) for me to drive on bad CV joints, BUT, if he can do it for cheaper, then it will be worth it.

my only issue is that it will take me a ful day to get out there, have hin look at my car and come back, i cant take the time off of work and i have classes most nights.

however, jason reccomended ONLY replacing the boots and overhauling the CV joints. i need to save money, and i am wondering if this will cost more than just replacing the axles, as it is quicker to replace the axles.

scratch that, he didnt know i already had the parts.

so as it standsright now, i will drive out there tomorrow and have him look at it...i will let y'all know.