weird issue

dktr

i have a 2004 lx470. My headunit completely dosnt work. My taillights dont light up even when i hit the break.My dash cluster guagues do not work. only thing on the dash that does work is the lights besides the guages. head lights work and cabin lights work and most other lights. The security light on the headunit works but thats it. I was driving like a week ago and the car died i replaced the battery so i think its the altneator. Im about to replace that could that fix all 3 three of my problems.If not anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong in my elctrical system. It only had 68k on the odometer before it went out. I just but a ranch hand on like a month ago. Any imput would help alot.

Edited by dktr
mistake

i have a 2004 lx470. My headunit completely dosnt work. My taillights dont light up even when i hit the break.My dash cluster guagues do not work. only thing on the dash that does work is the lights besides the guages. head lights work and cabin lights work and most other lights. The security light on the headunit works but thats it. I was driving like a week ago and the car died i replaced the battery so i think its the altneator. Im about to replace that could that fix all 3 three of my problems.If not anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong in my elctrical system. It only had 68k on the odometer before it went out. I just but a ranch hand on like a month ago. Any imput would help alot.

Before throwing a new alternator at it, put a charger on the battery and bring it up to full charge. Disconnect battery charger, after 30 minutes you should read between 12.7 and 12.8 volts. If it reads lower than that, your new battery is defective, which happens more than you think. If voltage is correct check to see if dash etc is now working properly. If it isnt then your problem is not battery or voltage. Check your fuses.

Next step, to verify alternator is good, start car and measure voltage at the battery terminals. Should be in the range of 13.5 to 14.6. If it is you alternator is charging fine. See if dash etc is still working if it worked before you started the car.