2007 GS450h 12V battery replacement

TADT

Newbie here.  I could not find this topic back to 2012 but am sure it's been discussed.  The 12V Panasonic battery may need replacement.  (Is not staying charged when car is stored for a month).  I would like to replace it with the OEM battery but not pay the dealer the $600 when I think they run around $400.  However, I have not yet located a seller in the USA.  I prefer to stay with the Panasonic brand battery.  Thanks for any suggestions on who may carry them.  

Thanks,

TADT

I've been buying ours at Costco for years. Their Interstate batteries are very good. By the way, if you are not going to drive your car for a month, I recommend keeping the battery charged with a battery tender.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RX400h said:

I've been buying ours at Costco for years. Their Interstate batteries are very good. By the way, if you are not going to drive your car for a month, I recommend keeping the battery charged with a battery tender.

Thanks.  I definately will use a tender in the future.

Your battery may be just fine. No modern car stays charged if not driven for a month. This might help.

If you do need a new Battery, I second going for a Costco or Walmart replacement. If I am paying forthem,all my batteries are Canadian Costco Kirkland. Far cheaper and a WAY better warranty than any other. Basically 4 year full replacement, 48 to 100 month pro rated. That is over 9 years warranty coverage. U.S. warranty on the Costco batteries is not as good, I think it is 3 years.

Kirkland Signature Automotive (flooded battery)

0-to48 months - Free replacement

49-to66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price

67-to100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

The Panasonic Batteries are not superior to the others. However, if your original battery is Lead acid stick to that, do NOT go AG, same is true in reverse. The charge mapping is different between the two types and you want to stick with what your car was programed to charge. (Some cars are capable of adapting to either kind of battery but I would make sure before switching.)

Thanks for the comments!  I am thinking from what little I have read so far, that due to the venting and other accommodations for the hybrid battery interaction, that the Panasonic is a better fit for this hybrid application.  I need to do more research for sure.

Strictly your choice but i have no idea how the Panasonics venting could differ from any other battery.  There is a difference in venting between lead acid and AGM, as in the AGM put out less gas by a lot, but by make of battery, all lead acid vent the same and all AGM vent the same. I would imagine your hybrid has an AGM starting battery as do most vehicles that have the battery not in the engine compartment. Once you complete your research I would love to hear what the actual difference is, or isn't. Best of luck.