99 RX300 AWD 150k Knock Sensor Issue

VTRUN

Thank you In advance.
I was getting limp mode with a knock sensor code. I replaced both the knock sensors and harness. Put it back together and the engine purs. A few whips around the block and it still purrs but I have a code for both sensors.
Also possibly related but not sure, it was slamming in second when taking it for the test run, prior to and during the codes arrival.
The knock sensors came off ebay. They are supposed to be and look like toyota parts. (I know ebay can be a miss at times)
I greatly appreciate your help, advise and insight.
Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there! My experience with this is from replacing these sensors multiplie times on my 2000 ES300. Same engine as the RX300. Around how much were the sensors and harness? Genuine Denso sensors are around $100 to $150 depending on where you get them. I bought some on rock auto the first time around and a week after installing them it threw the knock sensor codes again. For sensors always ensure you are getting genuine denso.

25 minutes ago, killshot4077 said:

Hey there! My experience with this is from replacing these sensors multiplie times on my 2000 ES300. Same engine as the RX300. Around how much were the sensors and harness? Genuine Denso sensors are around $100 to $150 depending on where you get them. I bought some on rock auto the first time around and a week after installing them it threw the knock sensor codes again. For sensors always ensure you are getting genuine denso.

Thank Tyler, The sensors were about $40 for the pair and same with the harness. Appreciate the advise. I'm taking a little vacation from working on this car, but in January, I think I'll give the proper sensors a round.

Cheers

No problem! I had to order mine from the parts store that has a reputable supplier. They are pricey but it beats having to do the job a 3rd time! I was so bummed to have to replace the knock sensors again but atleast they should be good for a long while! The ES is almost at 300,000 miles. Just got a RX300 with 119,000 and I’m using the experience I have from the Es to maintain the Rx

• 2 months later...

I've been studying this aspect of the 1MZ-FE engine since I am gathering -everything- I'd ought to have for a top covers/manifold/cooling system -extreme- maintenance visitation to a 1/4 million mile RX300. My car does NOT exhibit KS codes (& related), but in all expectations that parts under the intake manifold are duly heat-stressed I am buying a genuine Toyo/Lex short cable and installing it along with the bypass hose & related parts.

Since the KSs aren't problematic, I will trust the original Denso(?) parts with a refreshed signal cable. If I end up with a problem later, I will mount KSs externally, spoofing the ECU, saving all that money for the (nearly ALWAYs ignored!)valve clearance adjustments and myriad sealing components, high-end spark plugs, ect., ect. .

To do a top cover/valve adjust/sealing parts maintenance cycle properly equates to -hundreds- of dollars of parts, and I think I'd rather spend money on an OE spec. radiator & hoses (Nissen(?)) than those KS that can be worked around in a non-smog inspection region.