2013 LS 460 Takes a while to heat up

My 2013 LS takes a while to heat up and even when it does it only blows hot air while I am accelerating, or the engine speed is high. Radiator fans constantly blowing on high. I replaced the thermostat 6-7 months ago for the same issue. It fixed all my problems immediately. Wondering if it could be a coincidence that the thermostat when bad again or if I need to be looking elsewhere for other issues?

Thank you guys in advance!

I found several potential causes:

1. Low coolant level or air in the cooling system: If the cooling system is not full and bled properly, the water pump will not be able to push the coolant around the system efficiently. This can cause the heater to stop working properly. You can check the coolant level in the coolant overflow reservoir and if it’s low, refill it1.

2. Clogged heater core: Over time, the heater core can begin to rust or mineral deposits can form in these channels, blocking the flow of the coolant. You can check if the heater core is clogged by locating the two rubber hoses that connect to the heater core through the firewall area. After the engine has warmed up, feel both the rubber lines going in and out of the heater core. Both should be hot. If one is hot and the other is cold, you have a plugged heater core1.

3. Bad thermostat, faulty blend door actuator, bad water pump, dirty cabin air filter, bad blower motor, or HVAC control unit malfunction: These are some other potential causes that could lead to the heater not working properly

• Thanks 2

On 11/24/2023 at 8:01 PM, RX400h said:

I found several potential causes:

Thank you, I will look into those options as I find it hard to believe that the thermostat would go bad after only 6 months. I would imagine air in the cooling system. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 9:05 AM, ComradeKatyusha said:

I ended up bleeding the cooling system and now it works perfectly. Easy to do as well! Thank you so much for your help!

Anytime, Arthur! I'm glad it worked out.👍

Dave