Steering wheel shake while braking but it's not brakes

Hi,

I have a head scratcher here.

On this 2006 RX330 FWD, 65k miles, sometimes when I brake, the steering wheel shakes violently.  But sometimes, it's really smooth.  I've noticed it shakes more often if I'm slowing and ther's a slight turn of the steering wheel.

At slower speeds, I can feel a type of pulsation from the whole car when I apply the brakes.  The pulsation feels like the deceleration rate increases and then decreases and increases again.  It almost feels like there some type of sway front and back as the car slows down.  I've replaced both front and rear with new struts and also the connecting rods recently.  The suspension is quiet otherwise.

I checked the tie rods for play and there isn't any.  The lower ball joint also doesn't seem to have much play, although I can't tell if some are leaking grease.  The lower control arm bushing is a little worn, but I've never heard of a bad bushing caushing steering wheel vibration.

Usually when the front rotor is warped, the shaking is there all the time and if you step on the brakes hard enough, the shaking reduces.  There is also no pulsation from the brake pedal.  So I don't think it's warped rotors front or back.

The tire wear is also pretty even on all 4 wheels.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Alex

Edited by findalex
content

If this were my vehicle, I'd take it to my favorite alignment shop. They are experts at not only alignments, but also suspensions and brakes.

Sometimes what is not readily apparent to you, is "old hat" to the pros.

On 9/14/2023 at 11:11 PM, findalex said:

Hi,

I have a head scratcher here.

On this 2006 RX330 FWD, 65k miles, sometimes when I brake, the steering wheel shakes violently.  But sometimes, it's really smooth.  I've noticed it shakes more often if I'm slowing and ther's a slight turn of the steering wheel.

At slower speeds, I can feel a type of pulsation from the whole car when I apply the brakes.  The pulsation feels like the deceleration rate increases and then decreases and increases again.  It almost feels like there some type of sway front and back as the car slows down.  I've replaced both front and rear with new struts and also the connecting rods recently.  The suspension is quiet otherwise.

I checked the tie rods for play and there isn't any.  The lower ball joint also doesn't seem to have much play, although I can't tell if some are leaking grease.  The lower control arm bushing is a little worn, but I've never heard of a bad bushing caushing steering wheel vibration.

Usually when the front rotor is warped, the shaking is there all the time and if you step on the brakes hard enough, the shaking reduces.  There is also no pulsation from the brake pedal.  So I don't think it's warped rotors front or back.

The tire wear is also pretty even on all 4 wheels.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Alex

My 2009 RX350 has/had similar symptoms.  My independent Lexus shop replaced one of the half-shafts up front (right side) and things got better.  I probably should replace the other side myself, but it’s not bad enough to warrant the effort or expense. Something to consider ….