Tire & Wheel Issue

I purchased a new 2022 Lexus NX 350 in October of last year. I just drive locally so it was the end of May when it had its 5k maintenance which included a tire rotation. On August 7th and 1300 miles later my driver’s tire and wheel flew off while I was exiting the freeway. The dealer is saying it was too many miles since the maintenance and they have no responsibility. They are saying someone else messed with the lug nuts, while it’s still the original tire and wheel. Numerous mechanics have said if only 1 bolt is not torqued down it can take quite a while for the others to work loose. Not only did I buy the car new but prepaid for 3 years of maintenance and tire protection. Why would in the world would I let someone else touch the wheel and for what reason ? The loose tire kept going and crashed through another car’s windshield. Luckily no one was hurt but please be careful .This is my 4th Lexus and I’ve never experienced such horrible customer service and zero help from the dealer or Lexus. 3 weeks later my insurance has s paying for the repairs, my rental and I now have a new car with an accident which will certainly impact any resale.

IMG_2982.jpeg

IMG_2983.jpeg

IMG_2981.jpeg

IMG_2990.jpeg

I had the same thing happen to me, many years ago. One lug nut on my Monte Carlo was not torqued sufficiently, and it didn't take long for the remaining nuts to spin off. Thankfully, the bouncing tire did not hit any vehicle on the highway, but I was certainly very embarrassed, even as a 23 year-old.

As for your case, it would be impossible to pin the blame on the dealership, although my guess is that the technician did not torque the last lug nut. 

• Like 1