New Lexus Owner ES300h HUD issue

Just got the car today.  Notice the HUD appears to produce double vision when I look straight at it.  If I move my head to the left near the window, it becomes clear.  I see that the HUD can be moved up or down.  Is there any way to move it more to the left.  I think this would clear it up.  All of the data appears to be on the right side of the box and not centered.  I have HUD on all my other cars and have never had an issue with those vehicles being double vision.

HUD is designed to be perfectly clear and viewed w/o polarized glasses.

You can change the Brightness, tilt and up/down position to suit you, but not the L/R position. Sorry, Van, I can't help you with the double vision problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Van, 

I had the same issue with mine.  Try the fix from LesLex first. 

If that doesn't work, take a mirror and put it between the HUD and the glass, you should see the display is clear without double vision.  If the mirror is double vision, then the issue is likely the HUD display itself.  If the mirror is clear and sharp, then it's the windshield.  HUD displays require a special windshield to reflect it properly, and if you ever get an aftermarket windshield you need to confirm that it's HUD compatible.  While I haven't read this, I would assume that putting protective waxes on the windshield may also cause distortion. 

If I had to guess though, I would guess it's your windshield. 

Good luck.

Edited by maxoct97
  • Like 1

One thing to check: peer thru the windshield from outside and make sure the protective cover is seated properly in the dash. Or use the mirror as Matt suggested.

The problem I have lately (twice) is that the HUD display resets the brightness and position of the display to such a low point that I had trouble seeing it w/o raising the seat.  Yes, I do go in and correct both on the meter switches but I don't understand why it did that on its own.

Hold it! I forgot to mention that there is a mirror inside the dash that needs to be aligned correctly.  

The projector shoots horizontally and forward onto the mirror which is tilted forward at 45 degrees. It then shoots straight up and bounces off the glass and shoots rearward onto your face.

Yes the glass had to be of correct mfg in order for that to work properly.

• Like 1