Vsc/trac Vs Dsc

wwest

Doing my homework, research, before placing my X3 order I came across some interesting tidbits that may be helpful to Toyota/Lexus AWD owners.

BMW recommends turning off the DSC, Dynamic Stability Control, during maneuvers such rocking back and forth to get unstuck in a mud "wallow". Turning it off prevents the dethrottling of the engine so one might actually get out of that mud.

On the other hand it also says that in this mode, DSC off, the brake modulation for left/right torque apportioning might result in an automatic "masking out" of the brake application capability to prevent brake overheating due to allowing high rates of wheelspin.

Next year's "feature" for Toyota/Lexus AWD systems?

wwest, have you test driven one yet? I was looking at them before I bought my RX , never drove one though. I looked at some tests and the testers weren't impressed with the ride or handling. here is one.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=7592

Let us know when you do a test drive I assume you would try an x5 as well as the x3 just to compare.

Jeff

I have driven an X5 several times over the years but the RX always caught my eye instead.

I drove the 04 X3 back when, and I drove the 05 (2.5L, auto) just yesterday and found myself wishing it was a RWD biased RX330. It seemed heavier than its stated 4000lbs, and the stearing seemed stiff.

Typical BMW, in other words.

I initially made my decision based on the X3's seeming ability to be a wheels on the ground motorhome tow vehicle and the availibility of european delivery.

I like the new X3, haven't driven one but its caught my eye on the road. Trading the RX on it?

Don't do it.

I am an owner of 2000 RX300 AWD. I test drove both 2.5L and 3.3L X3. Not impressed! In fact, I couldn't believe the ride was so bad.

I like the look (exterior) a lot too. But, you definitely definitely need to test drive it before you even think about it.

The full story, it was a year ago that I bought my RX300, used. And, it inspired my friend to look at X3 a few months later. He had known the salesman well. The salesman was pretty busy, managed to get us started with the 2.5L. We took turn driving the car. We took some city road, some shape turns, and highway. We came back pretty unhappily. With the eager transmission, the power was ok, but not great.

The car felt heavy. But, the ride was rough. It felt like the car was put on springs without the structs. Feeling Boncy even just making a lane change. Felt much worse than an old Dodge caravan with the truck springs at the back, which my father had been driving. I am not kidding. Needless to say, handling was not great with all these bounces.

We went back after about 20 unhappy mins, switch to 3.3L. We test drove for about 20 mins, and went back more happily but definitely not great. The salesman was even more busy with the paperwork with client. So, we drove the car out again for another 1/2 hour. That's a bit longer than we planed. But, the salesman was still busy. But, it was alright. He don't really want to buy the X3. :-)

The first feeling with the 3.3L was Wow. The engine has much more punch, and the car doesn't feel heavy anymore. That's what you expect from a BMW. Alright. Comparing with RX300, it is definitely faster. (we later the same day went to Lexus to test drive a RX330. The X3 3.3L felt a bit faster than RX330 AWD. And, about the same as FWD version.)

The eagerness and the smoothness of BMW downshift make the car so much more fun to drive. On highway, on the 5th, once you press the gas hard, it immediately knows what you want, it smoothly shift 2 gears if needed. The RPM shoot right up from 2k+ to 4k+, and plenty of horses waiting to give you the torque there, and you're ready to zooo. The downshift is noticable, but very smooth every single time.

Both new and old version's of RX tramission was much more lazy. The upshift was always smooth. Downshift one gear was usually pretty smooth. Down two gear, about a quater of time you get a rough shift, while other times it was smooth. It really not too bad, but this unexpected roughness kills a lot of fun, when "you" are in spirited driving mode.

Back to the ride of X3, it was improved from the 2.5L a lot, but it was still not acceptable. I felt the body of the car roll a lot with uneven road. Say the road has a pitch on the left, and then on the right in 5 meter. You feel like you slide to the left a bit and the car tilt to the right... For handling, it also improved from 2.5L. But, it didn't feel that much like a car. You still got a lot of hint that you're driving a SUV with high clearance. It didn't feel as stable as the RX330 on high speed (90+ mph) either.

I never own a BMW, but had been the passenger enough of time to tell. It was not typical BMW at all. And, BMW is absolutely not ready for prime time of small SUV.

Even I like their tramission so much, it is still not a good car. I think they are not that many on the road for a reason.

Several things are contributing to my decision to go with the X3.

one of the reasons I have always liked the RX is because they don't "blackout" the dash surface and stearing wheel. With any BMW the dash and stearing wheel will always be black regardless of interior color otherwise. Now all Rxes come with a blacked out dash.

I will never own a FWD because of their hazardous nature on adverse roadbed surfaces.

The RX AWD is a compromise for me since it is front torque biased.

Now I keep hearing stories of lack of quick acceleration and hesitation with sudden WOT and that is quite worrisome. I suspect it is a try to help alleviate some of the hazards of FWD which is why Toyota is saying it will not be fixed.

And yes, I returned the X3 to the dealer and told the salesman that the vehicle felt "ponderous", heavy. But then so does my C4.

If the suspension is too light on the X3 then the springs can be changed out for less than $500, but it seems the RX will always be FWD and suffer from hesitation.

Additionally we just acquired a motorhome and the BMW, 3.3L, manual, can be towed with all wheels on the ground.

Lexus doesn't blackout the dash and steering wheel on the RX330, the color scheme is the same as its always been, the dash and wheel are a darker shade than the rest, but not black like BMW.