Tail Lights...weirdest Thing...

1991LS400

Hey guys,

Ok, I was recently having troubles with my tail lights going out and coming on, going out and coming on. I had my best mechanic check it out and he noticed that the harnesses were burnt out so we ordered new ones from California and got them installed and the "tail light out" warning light disappeared.

After Lexus cleaned and washed my engine yesterday I noticed the "tail light out" warning light came back on. I had someone check my tail lights out and they were all working, however, now today one of them wasn't working and it's the inner right one and that's the one that has a new harness.

Any ideas on what the hell is going on??? I was reading SOMETHING on lexls.com and on the LS 400 chronology timeline it states that in 90-91 consumers complained about the cruise control malfunctioning and something about the tail light harnesses. But could the engine cleaning have done something?

SOMEONE HELP!

P.S. My instrument cluster board is messed up too but even if there's a short in the cluster board it shouldn't affect the tail lights going out, right?

Brian

Brian, there's nothing in the chronolgoy about stoplight wiring harnesses....it states that there were complaints of a stoplight housing distortion...and they only had one complaint of the cruise control....

Your lighting situation is tricky. I don't think anything in the engine compartment would cause your malfunction though. So I don't think the cleaning had anything to do with this but I don't know what they did exactly. What it sounds like is that you have a loose wire somewhere. You'll have to get your repair manual and inspect the electrical loop for the tails. If the wiring harnesses were burned then this would make me think there was some sort of short in the chain. You're going to have to do a close inspection.

The cluster only gives you readings, that's all. It doesn't affect your lights. The car functions without the cluster.

By design, the cruise control is disabled if ANY brake light has failed....

Don't have any idea why.

In most cars the battery negative terminal is connected directly to the engine block and then from the engine block to the car body. Most often from the rear of the engine block to the car body at the firewall.

If that firewall connection get coroded......and then wet.....

Hey guys,

Ok, I was recently having troubles with my tail lights going out and coming on, going out and coming on.  I had my best mechanic check it out and he noticed that the harnesses were burnt out so we ordered new ones from California and got them installed and the "tail light out" warning light disappeared.

After Lexus cleaned and washed my engine yesterday I noticed the "tail light out" warning light came back on.  I had someone check my tail lights out and they were all working, however, now today one of them wasn't working and it's the inner right one and that's the one that has a new harness.

Any ideas on what the hell is going on???  I was reading SOMETHING on lexls.com and on the LS 400 chronology timeline it states that in 90-91 consumers complained about the cruise control malfunctioning and something about the tail light harnesses.  But could the engine cleaning have done something?

SOMEONE HELP!

Check the ground wires to the affected taillight. I had the same problem.

John

P.S.  My instrument cluster board is messed up too but even if there's a short in the cluster board it shouldn't affect the tail lights going out, right?

Brian

91- I was just wondering- what harness was "burnt" exactly? Was it in the trunk?

I did not have any exterior lighting problems on my LS, but I have read many complaints of this. I agree- I also doubt the engine washing would cause this.

I had my best mechanic check it out and he noticed that the harnesses were burnt out so we ordered new ones from California and got them installed and the "tail light out" warning light disappeared.