Air Suspension Option

mikelexus

I have a 1998 ls400 I just bought with 152,000 miles. All records since new. I have a concern about the air suspension option this car has( $3,200. ) Does anyone know how reliable this is ? How do I know if this works? I really enjoy this web-site and all the features. Hope I can help someone in the future. Thanks in advance. Mikelexus

I too have the air suspension on my 93 LS400. If your car is riding level, and not dropping after sitting overnight, it's working and not loosing air pressure. There is a switch in the trunk (93 model) which allows you to turn off the air system for when you need to raise the car on a lift for maintenance. I also have, (and you may also), a switch by the transmission selector that raises the car slightly. If you throw that switch to ride height "high", you can hear the compressor running, and will see the car rise up. Throw the switch back to normal, and the car slowly drops back to the normal ride height. Check your manual for switches and controls.

I have recently replaced one of the struts as the bladder started to leak. It's not cheap, but you don't have many options if one develops a leak. I'll change them one at a time as they go bad due to the cost.

One nice thing... The air suspension provides a superior ride compared to springs. Enjoy it!