Wood Dash Kits

I don't know how many of you all have considered a wood dash kit for your SC, but if you haven't I highly recommend one. I just got mine (after about a 14 day wait for them to make and ship it) from Wood Dash Experts.

WHOA! :D I can't say enough about how much it does for the cockpit/console of the car. I'ts like I'm sitting inside someone's Jag XJ8 or something. I remember seeing one of these in an SC on ebay motors about a year ago and decided that when I finally get my SC "I'm definately getting one". For some reason though, I was thinking it was an expensive dealer option that nobody else was taking advantage of. I thought for certain it would run $500+. So of course I was surprised to find the kit from W.D.E. at only $130.

I'll be taking some pics later today and posting tomorrow.

I don't know how many of you all have considered a wood dash kit for your SC, but if you haven't I highly recommend one.  I just got mine (after about a 14 day wait for them to make and ship it) from Wood Dash Experts. 

WHOA!  :D  I can't say enough about how much it does for the cockpit/console of the car.  I'ts like I'm sitting inside someone's Jag XJ8 or something.  I remember seeing one of these in an SC on ebay motors about a year ago and decided that when I finally get my SC "I'm definately getting one".  For some reason though, I was thinking it was an expensive dealer option that nobody else was taking advantage of.  I thought for certain it would run $500+.  So of course I was surprised to find the kit from W.D.E. at only $130.

I'll be taking some pics later today and posting tomorrow.

:angry: I bought a dash kit from exotic wood dash for my LS 430 and was extremely dis-appointed. The color was off and the grain in the wood wasn't even close. There was a part that was damaged when I received it 2 and a half months ago that they still have not replaced Don't deal with them.

Being a glutton for punishment I ordered a kit for my SC 430 from Joshua Tree. Again the wood grain wasn't even close, no burl wood grain just a straight grain and the fit was horrible. They agreed to take it back and after a month of hounding them I finally received my UPS call slip. I would not deal with them either.

The only one out there that is honest in their advertising is Sherwood Dash and they clearly state that the match for Lexus wood is truly hit or miss and that they DO NOT gaurantee a match for Lexus. Try and get pictures of an actual install before you take the plunge.

:angry: I bought a dash kit from exotic wood dash for my LS 430 and was extremely dis-appointed. The color was off and the grain in the wood wasn't even close. There was a part that was damaged when I received it 2 and a half months ago that they still have not replaced Don't deal with them.

Being a glutton for punishment I ordered a kit for my SC 430 from Joshua Tree. Again the wood grain wasn't even close, no burl wood grain just a straight grain and the fit was horrible.

Well, I did consider ordering from that site at first (www.exoticwooddash.com) but decided not to go with them.

For the set I got from Wood Dash Experts, I must say that the fit on the cup holder piece is not perfect, but close enough for me. Also, in my excitement, I rushed a bit on my install, so I've got a bit of friction (rubbing) at one of my radio station selector buttons that keeps it from recoiling instantly when I press it. But that's nothing an X-acto blade won't fix.

As far as the wood grain match - looks good enough for me. You really don't even notice much of the "bird's eye" in the original wood dash pieces of the 1st generation SCs anyway (well, not mine anyhow), so the fact that the dash kit doesn't show much bird's eye doesn't really stand out as a glaring issue with me. There is the little issue of "finish" though. The kit is a super-high gloss but my original wood grain finish is a far cry from high-gloss. But that's okay. Nothing a good bit of detailed, reconditioning and a few coats of polyeurathane won't remedy.

Lovlex, I got mine from Wood Dash Experts, who is actual operated by www.dashkitstore.com. As far as composition (plastic or not) it appears to be a very thin wood veneer (like those used on most "real wood" furniture sets) coated with about a quarter-inch of polyeurathane-like clear coat. The finish is very cleanable, but don't use any type of harsh chemical to clean it or the finish will haze over.