Nakamichi woofer

Birdie

I am attempting to make the bass output of this system more robust by enclosing the rear parcel shelf mounted speaker. A local auto sound tech. says that it is unusal now to use the trunk as the box, as is the case in my vehicle ('94) and proposes bulding an eclosure. I suspect I can do this myself and avoid his 250.00 charge. Has anyone found bass wanting on this system? Short of replaceing the system, what have others done? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to help my brother do the same thing, he is procrastinating though.

I was going to use the cylinder thingy that you use for burying fence posts as a "box". They are hard as hell, cover them with some carpet. and spray the inside with some acoustic material (do they have dymat in cans ? ;)) and see how it sounds.

Probably a $50 fix at the most, but the sound should be alot tighter and louder. Maybe add an amp and swap out the speaker if it is not loud enough.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

• 1 year later...

That sub was designed to run free-air. Building an enclosure might actually make it worse, and you dont have the peramiters to make the proper size enclosure either. In other words you'll probably need to change the sub too. Try just getting a better sub instead, and forgo the box. Soundstream makes the Exact 8" (exw-8) or you can go with the 10" (exw-10) with some minor modification. These subs are great and work free-air as well. Just remember, SEAL BETWEEN THE TRUNK AND THE CABIN. Use dynamat as a membrane over the rear deck. Cover all the seams and holes. Then get some real power behind the sub, I don't think the factory power is adequate. If you really have the skill you might be able to get the 12 installed. I have a 96 LS and I have the exact 12 in their, and it sounds awesome.