Lousy Navegation Implementation

nicoff

I just purchased a 2004 LC (LX470) and find myself a bit frustated with the built-in shortcomings of the navegation system. The system has been designed in a way that once you set a route and start moving you cannot set a new route unless you stop the vehicle! What a joke!

I have a plug-in, use-anywhere navegation system (Garmin 2620) that has more versatility, more POI, and a much better user interface than the poorly implemented nav system in this truck.

I wonder if I am in line for more surprises with bluetooth as well!

Just venting!

I just purchased a 2004 LC (LX470) and find myself a bit frustated with the built-in shortcomings of the navegation system. The system has been designed in a way that once you set a route and start moving you cannot set a new route unless you stop the vehicle! What a joke!

I have a plug-in, use-anywhere navegation system (Garmin 2620) that has more versatility, more POI, and a much better user interface than the poorly implemented nav system in this truck.

I wonder if I am in line for more surprises with bluetooth as well!

Just venting!

We just so you don't have to wait and be surprised, the bluetooth is not going to work except for just a very few funtions unless you are going to come to a halt. It is something that Lexus built in for liability purposes, I don't like it either but I love my 2004 LX470. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I think is going on: car companies (including Toyota) are NOT in the business of manufacturing GPS equipment. So they have to outsource the navi system to third parties (Alpine, Delphi, Denso and others).

The GPS equipment manufacturing companies are likely to have products with many features, however the car manufacturers are primarily looking for a product that can do the navigation but is not very expensive (they rather keep the profit than passing it on to a third party). So the GPS companies offer them a stripped version of their best products and we (the buyers of the vehicles) are likely not to know any better since we presume that since it came with the car, and it has a big screen and nice colors it has to be best out there. I bet many consumers think that the OEM nav systems in these cars are tops. We are being duped!