2005 Es330

CM1970

• 3 weeks later...
What's the average discount I can expect (if any) on this car?

I don't know about "average", but I paid $32,909 for my Mom at Lexus of Watertown, Mass yesterday. They told me MSRP was 35,709. So that's $2,800 off.

Then add about $150 for documents, registration, and about $1650 sales tax here.

I'm not a good negotiator, so I first took Mom in and picked out the car, color preferences, etc, and let them know we were buying within 14 days.

I shopped the internet and got several "best" prices, and wrote them all down on a piece of paper. Then I wrote the price I would pay at the local dealer (a couple hundred higher than the best quote from 50 miles away).

I went back to the sales guy, told him I had done my homework, and my "price" was written on the folded paper. He had one chance to give me a number. We would then look at the paper together, and I would either write a check, or walk and not look back.

He came back, saying his manager didn't like this, but quoted $900 less than what I was willing to pay. I smiled as I wrote the check. :D

I think this technique would work even better if you sent your spouse, with a sealed "bid" envelope and a check... make the salesguy write his price on the outside of the envelope... :cheers:

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Seems everything I'm reading says you should get off at least $3,000 from the sticker price.

Mine was $35,200 and some change. I paid $32,000 excluding tag and tax. They tried to "give" me a good deal at $32,500 but I told them other delars matched the 32k price.

I actually could have gotten it cheaper by driving a couple hours.

Good luck.

What's the average discount I can expect (if any) on this car?

I don't know about "average", but I paid $32,909 for my Mom at Lexus of Watertown, Mass yesterday. They told me MSRP was 35,709. So that's $2,800 off.

Then add about $150 for documents, registration, and about $1650 sales tax here.

I'm not a good negotiator, so I first took Mom in and picked out the car, color preferences, etc, and let them know we were buying within 14 days.

I shopped the internet and got several "best" prices, and wrote them all down on a piece of paper. Then I wrote the price I would pay at the local dealer (a couple hundred higher than the best quote from 50 miles away).

I went back to the sales guy, told him I had done my homework, and my "price" was written on the folded paper. He had one chance to give me a number. We would then look at the paper together, and I would either write a check, or walk and not look back.

He came back, saying his manager didn't like this, but quoted $900 less than what I was willing to pay. I smiled as I wrote the check. :D

I think this technique would work even better if you sent your spouse, with a sealed "bid" envelope and a check... make the salesguy write his price on the outside of the envelope...:cheers: