1992 Es 300 With 185,000 Miles

todd332

:unsure: Hello all ,

I have a 92 with about 185,000 on her now . Been a Really Great Car for me. I have the Car serviced on time ..There is this whoooping Noise comming from my engine ..It started at aprrox. 140,000 when I had my 2nd Timming belt change..I Noticed it as Soon As I picked the Car up from the Lexus Dealership, and told them about it and they said nothing was wrong..When I drove the Car after that, everytime I put my foot on the break i could feel it pulsating with the whooping noise..Over time the pulsating in the brakes disappeared but the Whooping noise is getting louder...When I put the Car in gear (R orD )the whooping noise is louder untill the idile drops to normal...I went Back about 170,000 and told them it was driving me nuts...they Said my A/C com. Was going bad ,but was not 100% sure and that was making the noise..But my A/C works fine..However when u kick the a/c on the whoooping noise gets louder , but thats becouse the idile is higher...Does Anyone Have a Clue what I am talking about? Another Question , I Change my Trans. fluid every 8,000-10,000 miles with a new filter.Should that be enough maintance for the tranny?

:unsure: Hello all ,

I have a 92 with about 185,000 on her now . Been a Really Great Car for me. I have the Car serviced on time ..There is this whoooping Noise comming from my engine ..It started at aprrox. 140,000 when I had my 2nd Timming belt change..I Noticed it as Soon As I picked the Car up from the Lexus Dealership, and told them about it and they said nothing was wrong..When I drove the Car after that, everytime I put my foot on the break i could feel it pulsating with the whooping noise..Over time the pulsating in the brakes disappeared  but the Whooping noise is getting louder...When I put the Car in gear (R orD )the whooping noise is louder untill the idile drops to normal...I went Back about 170,000 and told them it was driving me nuts...they Said my A/C com. Was going bad ,but was not 100% sure and that was making the noise..But my A/C works fine..However when u kick the a/c on the whoooping noise gets louder , but thats becouse the idile is higher...Does Anyone Have a Clue what I am talking about?  Another Question , I  Change my Trans. fluid every 8,000-10,000 miles with a new filter.Should that be enough maintance for the tranny?

If the A/C is turned off, do you still hear the noise? If not, they're probably correct. You could try giving it a little gas to increase the rpms with AC off just to make sure it's not a RPM thing.

If you still hear the noise even when A/C is off, it's somewhat less likely that they're right - although it could still be a bad pulley bearing. Even with AC off, the pulley turns, so there's some chance of a problem there.

Have you stuck your head under the hood with things running to see if you can localize the noise? Again, if it's near the AC, that reinforces their opinion.

Finally, what has your past experience been with this dealer? Have they been reliable and given you good diagnoses in the past?

In the Ford Contour Community, this is known as "Moosing". im not sure exactly what causes it, but cleaning/Replacing the IAC valvehas fixed every case i have ever heard of. i will try to find more info on it.

thanks for the replys..

The noise Still contiues even with the A/C off ..What I mean by a whoooping noise , is , it is this Repetition noise ..As you increase the Rpms It gets louder but fades into the sounds of the engine , as the RPM's Drop you hear this whoooping sound again , it makes this noise as it hits a certian spot in the Belt system(that sounds where it is comming from) ..The lexus Dealer has been reliable in the past , but I took it to my private mechanic who knos the car well also and he is not sure what is making the noise....if you say the word whoop.whoop, whoop,over and over it sounds like my engine ..That is the Best way I can describe the sound...Another question is , When I let off the Gas to drift down a Hill (going about 40mph) My RPM's drops up and down for about 5 times then stops..when it does that I can feel it in the engine , as tho the engine has a MISS.

But there is nothing wrong with the spark plugs. wires.ect.. Is It just the transmission shifting back and fourth from over-drive to drive ...if so why does it make the engine do that?

these isntructions are for a 2000 Ford Contour SVT, btu the concepts should be the same:

Engine emits strange fog-horn like noise and [sometimes] stalls.

to clean IAC valve

Over time, the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve becomes sticky due to buildup from the EGR and PCV systems. It can stick partially open such that idle quality is adversely affected, and engine RPM's will not drop below 1500. For a while, blipping the throttle will restore normal idle, but this only works for so long.

The fix is to remove the IAC valve by unbolting the two 8mm bolts that hold it on and disconnected the wiring plug. If you are careful enough, replacement of the gasket will not be necessary. The gasket costs less than US $1.00, so it is no tragedy if you destroy it. Once the valve is off, spray it out with some carb/intake cleaner and make sure any gunky residue is gone. Reattach, and you are done.

Moosing often only happens when the A/C is on.

your trans issue is nto really an issue i wouldnt thik, mine does it too as do alot of high mileage toyota trannies from what i have heard, it is just shifting, trying to find an optimum gear for your speed. FWIW 40 MPH is a really weird speed for most transmissions/transaxles. under the normal driving operations it is right in between 3rd/4th gear. the reason why it does this is because engine speed and transaxle speed are directly proportionate. the trasnaxle controls the speed of your car, not the engine.