Trunk Leaking

Tote

Hi all, it has been raining in Los Angeles and yesterday when I looked in the trunk I noticed the mat in the trunk was wet. I felt around in the trunk to try to feel where the water was leaking in from. No luck, all seemed dry on the walls. I cleaned the rubber seal or gasket (don't no what it's called) that goes between the trunk and rear chassis. Made sure it was free of leaves and other debris. This morning it was wet again. Anyone have any tips or tricks to trying to figure out where the leak is coming from? Any Ideas would be appreciated? As I write this, I’m thinking about how my antenna doesn’t go down and is bent a little. Could it leak through the antenna? I’m worried about the rust.

Thanks in Advance

Tote

Hi all, it has been raining in Los Angeles and yesterday when I looked in the trunk I noticed the mat in the trunk was wet. I felt around in the trunk to try to feel where the water was leaking in from. No luck, all seemed dry on the walls. I cleaned the rubber seal or gasket (don't no what it's called) that goes between the trunk and rear chassis. Made sure it was free of leaves and other debris.  This morning it was wet again. Anyone have any tips or tricks to trying to figure out where the leak is coming from? Any Ideas would be appreciated? As I write this, I’m thinking about how my antenna doesn’t go down and is bent a little. Could it leak through the antenna?  I’m worried about the rust.

Thanks in Advance

Tote

line the inside of your trunk overnight with paper towels, and see where the leak is.

Get yourself a flashlight and someone you really trust. Lock yourself in the trunk and have the trusted person run a hose over the trunk area. Use the flashlight to check around the inside for where the water is coming in. :lol:

bean_laughing_sm_nwm.gif

John

<_<

I've had the same problem with my 96 ES. Do what ec said. Also, try removing the trunk carpet and have a look around. Be mindful of where you are getting the wetness and what directions the leak might be originating from.

Actually, Goldplater John's suggestion makes a lot of sense, unless you don't have any Friends you trust that much.

I'm not sure when this practice began, but my '04 LS430 has a Trunk Release INSIDE the Trunk, so it wouldn't be strictly a Matter of Trust.

Your antenna gasket is most likely the problem!!!

This was just on the board a month or so ago and the antenna area was the cause of the leak!!!

Until you get a new antenna/gasket:

If you can leave the antenna UP permanently......use a little clear silicone bead around the area to keep the water out until you get new parts.

Hey Tote,

Check out my problem with a trunk leak in my LS400 back on July 5, 7 and 15, 2004 in this forum.

We did the guy in the trunk deal with no real luck. We had the trunk gasket/weatherstripping removed and reglued and this solved the problem.

Bossman