Avs Suspension On 05 Es330

bichoo

I'm all set to get the new ES330 but having trouble deciding whether to get the Adaptive variable suspension or not? I'm here in Canada so it comes in an $2700 extra package that includes the mark levinson sound system. But $2700 is pretty steep and I haven't been able to get a clear answer or opinion as to exactly HOW AVS works and is it worth the money? In comfort mode, is the ride smoother than a ES330 without AVS or the same? The description from lexus says:

"AVS is a computer-controlled system that continuously adjusts shock-absorber damping rates to help provide appropriate ride comfort and handling precision. Sensors monitor wheel speed, engine rpm, steering-wheel movement, brake application and vertical body motion to determine the ideal damping rate for each shock. The driver also has a console switch to select among four damping-firmness programs, from Sport to Comfort."

From my understanding from this description, AVS does more than just a mechanism to switch between sport and comfort modes. So does it in comfort mode really provide a better ride than without AVS? And in sport mode, how sporty is it? Close to the G35 or Acura TL?

Anyway help would be great!

thanks!

I have a loaded 1997 ES300 with the AVS. My good buddy has a loaded 1997 ES300 without the AVS. With the AVS set to comfort mode, the ride is noticeably smoother that when it is in sport mode, but the car wallows & dips much like a Detroit boat. I use comfort mode when I have a fully loaded car, as I think passengers appreciate a smoother ride. I usually keep it in one of the two middle settings.

At the sport setting, the ride is still smooth, but ruts, and expansion joints will manifest themselves more through the cabin. I test drove a 2004 Acura TL a month ago, and my opinion is that the TL's ride is harsher than the ES's AVS set to sport. The handling does not change, so it is not as quick handling as the TL. I absolutely love the TL and its power. I would buy one if I wasn't so spoiled by the ES's smoothness. The TL is definitely more sporty than the ES. No opinion on the G35, as I have not driven it.

My friend's ES without the AVS seems to do everything well, but it's just some of those rare instances when you want an ultra-smooth ride, or a firmer ride when AVS comes in handy. The AVS's second setting after comfort is like what a non-AVS equipped ES is like.

Hope this helps! :)

Most people say that the car rides too soft (wollows and floats) in the comfort mode and rides like the normal car in the middle setting. Its probably not worth buying that package unless you want the ML stereo. I wouldn't.

Thanks for the replies! Speaking of the ML stereo, is it as good as advertised? Been reading up on it and it seems that ML and it sounds amazing! Might consider going to the higher package just for the ML now! Hmm.. :)

I love my ML stereo but test them back to back first. IMHO most of the benefit of the ML stereo comes with listening to classical music (which I don't). I definately would buy the nav again, but I might have skipped the ML if I could have.

I wish the ML sound system had an equalizer to change the characteristics from classical to jazz to pop, etc. for these types of music. The tone controls are much too coarse to change the frequency curves to my liking. Like a one button push to a pre-determined curve would be nice.

the bigger question you might want to consider pertaining to the AVS is what will it cost to repair when the warranty is up? It won't be cheap.

The premium sound system is actually very nice and I listen to all sorts of music (from Handel to Heavy D and the Boys). I really haven't had a chance to listen to the ML system for extended periods of time, so I won't comment there.

Can you get the ML/NAV without the AVS?

steviej

Can you get the ML/NAV without the AVS?

That depends on what part of the country you're located. The option packages change from the East Coast to the West Coast and areas in between. Originally, I tried getting AVS on the top package in NYC, but I was told that would be a special order and would take a long time to get, so I just forgot it. :cries:

I can't get the options separately. I"m in canada so the options and packages are limited. I am considering the extra money perhaps for the audio for #1 and the AVS #2. Gonna be leasing it so warranty is not really an issue since the lease term will cover it. If I want the Nav, it's an extra $2500 CDN, but i don't really need that.

Btw, the AVS isn't the system that counteracts vehicle body roll (on tuns for example) and keeps the car level? Is that it the air suspension only on the LS430?