Maintenance Record Question

DesertRat

I live in a town with only a Toyota dealership that I have had good experiences with in the past. Nearest Lexus dealer for warranty work is 105 miles away.

For basic maintenance issues (oil changes, trans service, etc), if the local Toyota dealership services my 01 RX, does this maintenance show up in the Lexus maintenance history records?

I doubt very seriously if Toyota would feed their service history to the Lexus database. And I also doubt very seriously if Lexus would even accept it.

More and more Toyota dealerships are attempting to get Lexus service business, much of which they can do. Toyota charges less and touts that they can provide the same or better quality of service than Lexus can, and on a dealership-to-dealership comparison around the country, there's some truth in that depending upon where you live.

But in the cut-throat automotive industry, competing manufacturers are not going to share data feeds of service records. They may TELL you that they will, but if you believe that, make sure you keep hard copies of your service records, too. Because if you go looking at a Lexus service department for a service visit that you had performed by a Toyota service department, you simply ain't gonna find it....

No, they won't but thats not a big deal as long as you keep your service records. If you used a private mechanic you'd have to do that anyways. Sure buyers might like to see all serviced at Lexus but its not going to net you as much as you would have put out for the cost of Lexus service. By federal law they cannot require you to service the car at the Lexus dealership, as long as you have the maintenance SOMEWHERE and keep your records its fine.