Maintenance For Es330/gs430

jeff corona

I have yet to buy a Lexus but will be soon. However I am concerned with the maintenance cost for these vehicles. Is the ES cheaper as far as oil changes than the GS430?

Also can someone tell me what to expect as far as reliability and operating cost on these two vehicles, are they about the same(aside from hP)?

appreciate any help on this subject

Jeff...

I have yet to buy a Lexus but will be soon.  However I am concerned with the maintenance cost for these vehicles.  Is the ES cheaper as far as oil changes than the GS430? 

Also can someone tell me what to expect as far as reliability and operating cost on these two vehicles, are they about the same(aside from hP)?

Jeff...

It's a Lexus which means minimum maintenance. When maintenance is due, it is a Lexus which means labor of about $85 an hour. The GS has higher cost than the ES for maintenance.

Oil changes should be the same $$$ except the LX 470. Though I change the oil myself in every Lexus I have owned.

THe ES and GS are according to JD Power the most relable cars in their class.

I have yet to buy a Lexus but will be soon.  However I am concerned with the maintenance cost for these vehicles.  Is the ES cheaper as far as oil changes than the GS430? 

Jeff...

It's a Lexus which means minimum maintenance. When maintenance is due, it is a Lexus which means labor of about $85 an hour. The GS has higher cost than the ES for maintenance.

Oil changes should be the same $$$ except the LX 470. Though I change the oil myself in every Lexus I have owned.

THe ES and GS are according to JD Power the most relable cars in their class.

whats so different about the LX 470??

Something about the orientation of the LX's motor makes routine maintenance more difficult, and it holds more oil...

Maint. costs on the ES are much cheaper than the GS430, but about the same as the GS300. There's a totally different price schedule for the 6cyl Lexuses vs the 8cyl Lexuses. Keep in mind also you don't have to service the car at the dealer. My dealer charges $97 an hour for labor and they're not the most expensive one in the area...

Lexus dealers don't do oil changes, they do different levels of maintenance. A mini maintenance is an oil change, this costs $140 after I bring my own synthetic oil (5qts worth at $5.30 a quart. Never buy synthetic oil at the dealer, they charge $20 a qt). This includes the oil change, tire rotation, inspection of various things, top off all fluids, a wash and vacuum and a loaner car. Not bad. I always get the loaner car to make the price more worthwhile and always skip the wash because I don't want them to touch my car (dealers don't wash well).

Now, the first 5k maint. is free on all Lexuses. You'll have to pay for the service again at 10k. At 15k comes the medium maintenance. This includes everything in the mini maintenance plus a transmission flush, diff. flush, replacement of the air filter, oil additive, fuel additive.They charged me $452 for this service.

At 20k and 25k its only mini maints until 30k when they do a large maint. This includes everything included in both the other maint.s plus a coolant flush and a brake fluid flush, they charged me $615 for this.

Then it restarts. 35k and 40k are minis, then a medium at 45k, more minis at 50k and 55k then another large at 60k with the addition of a replaced PCV valve and replacement of the fuel cap gasket. This will run $800 or so easy.

Then it restarts, minis at 65k and 70k and a medium at 75k. minis at 80k and 85 then an extra large at 90k that will include everything in the 30k and 60k plus spark plugs and the timing belt. THis will be $1200 or so.

So there in a nutshell is the maintenance future of a Lexus through 90k miles. The V8s are generally 25% more. Like I said though you don't have to service it at the dealership, you'll get a nice little book that lines all of this out and any mechanic can do the work as long as you use the right parts!

Its really not so bad, honestly. Everyone thinks its a lot more expensive to own these things than it is.