Oil Change

the old owner mentioned something about changing a ring/gasket when getting an oil change (he said places like jiffy lube skimp on this <$1 part).

for the most part, i've never known to change anything but the filter and oil during oil changes. Is he referring to an oil filter seal? is this a cheap, easily changeable part that should be done per oil change?

i'm confused as hell...

i think there's dino oil in there now but i plan on switching to mobil 1 w/ mobil 1 filter. the manual recommends 5w30. should i use that weight?

-i live in ny (winters can get cold, summers can get hot)

-car has 156k

the old owner mentioned something about changing a ring/gasket when getting an oil change (he said places like jiffy lube skimp on this <$1 part).

for the most part, i've never known to change anything but the filter and oil during oil changes. Is he referring to an oil filter seal? is this a cheap, easily changeable part that should be done per oil change?

i'm confused as hell...

i think there's dino oil in there now but i plan on switching to mobil 1 w/ mobil 1 filter. the manual recommends 5w30. should i use that weight?

-i live in ny (winters can get cold, summers can get hot)

-car has 156k

5-30 is fine. 10-30 will work if you find you are losing oil too fast for your taste. The gasket you ask about is the drain plug gasket. They don't need changing every time - though that is not a bad idea. I change mine when they show wear.

When you change your oil you need an oil filter and an oil drain plug gasket. This is a 75 cent gasket that helps seal and seat the oil plug. If you want to save some money on these items go to the-best-source.com and you can get good quality nippon,denso and advantex oil filters and oil plug gaskets at good prices. Otherwise stick to lexus oil filters and gaskets. I use mobil one but any high quality regular or synthetic 5W30 should do well if it is changed every 3,000mi. Check the owners manual for oil weight and scheduled changes.

You probably already know this but Toyota and Lexus V8's use the same oil filter. A local Toyota dealer included 10 oil plug gaskets when we purchased a 10-pack of oil filters for $40 which is of course is only $4 each.

A Lexus dealer parts department once charged me over $12 for just one oil filter and plug gasket.