Serpentine Belt

TTL

how do i adjust the tension on the tensioner? i think my serpentine belt is on too tight and im not sure on where it can be adjusted. do i just loosen the bolt that runs down the center of the serp belt tensioner pulley? how many ft lbs is the bolt supposed to be torqued to? please help.

yes, you got it right just loosen/tighten the tensioner bolt on the pulley to get it where you would like it..... :)

also the diagram for the belt is on the underside of the hood in case you need that.... ;)

i'm not sure the exact specs (ft. lbs.) that the bolt should be tighted too, i'm sure another member will though

good luck

TTL,

What year is your LS?

Mine is 99 and basically has an "automatic tensioner". The tensioner should have an arrow pointing between a scale on top - the needle should fall within the widest area (A). If not, replace the belt.

A new belt should keep the arrow towards the Left side of the scale.

The check for the tensioner is to:

apply 22 ft lbs of force on the drive belt and see if the tensioner moves downward - if not, replace tensioner........

These are 99LS specs........

BTW-

The drive belt tension can be released by turning the belt tensioner Counterclockwise; the pulley bolt has a left-handed thread.