No Start

92Lex

She really likes it. Even lets me drive it a little.

Still a few things I would like to do. Front lower ball joints replaced. They are a little worn..not hampering the drving of the car but want to do this before a good alignment. Also considering replacing 02 sensors. Then 4 new tires (it has cheap Pep Boys tires now than former owner put on the car) and a small repair on a leather driver seat.

I think it's gonna be the best car we ever owned.

That's good.

Just had a good laugh! Last night when we were talking about this...I went out and disconnected the mass air flow sensor so i could see if it would start as a test. Well, soon as it fired I shut it off. Didn't figure it would set a code for a check engine light. Connected the mass air flow sensor back up. Closed the hood.

Wife just got home. She says "I got a check engine light on in the Lexus. Wonder what that is all about?"

:rolleyes:

Ha! Ha!

:cheers:

Bob, How is she liking the LS......I know you've worked on it A LOT !!!! since you've owned it to get the LS in great shape and your wife was a little leary....

SHe's gotta love the ride :D

A little wife test today. :D

Bob: "With the price of gas what it is, maybe we should have got you a Toyota Camry. I won't have any trouble selling the Lexus and we could get you a nice Camry. One with Leather. They get a lot better mileage I have heard and they can run on regular gas. Buying premium fuel has gotta be working on your spending money."

Wife: "I don't think so."

Bob: "But I can make a good profit on the car now that it is fixed up nice and no problem finding a Carmy. Same color, even newer!"

Wife: "NO!" :censored:

To those unmarried (I have 31 years experience)....that means she likes it. :D

That's good.

Just had a good laugh! Last night when we were talking about this...I went out and disconnected the mass air flow sensor so i could see if it would start as a test. Well, soon as it fired I shut it off. Didn't figure it would set a code for a check engine light. Connected the mass air flow sensor back up. Closed the hood.

Wife just got home. She says "I got a check engine light on in the Lexus. Wonder what that is all about?"

:rolleyes:

Ha! Ha!

:cheers:

Bob, How is she liking the LS......I know you've worked on it A LOT !!!! since you've owned it to get the LS in great shape and your wife was a little leary....

SHe's gotta love the ride :D

A little wife test today. :D

Bob: "With the price of gas what it is, maybe we should have got you a Toyota Camry. I won't have any trouble selling the Lexus and we could get you a nice Camry. One with Leather. They get a lot better mileage I have heard and they can run on regular gas. Buying premium fuel has gotta be working on your spending money."

Wife: "I don't think so."

Bob: "But I can make a good profit on the car now that it is fixed up nice and no problem finding a Carmy. Same color, even newer!"

Wife: "NO!" :censored:

To those unmarried (I have 31 years experience)....that means she likes it. :D

Sorry I got to this post late. Most of the time people install the rotor wrong and it's 180 degree off. This would cause the car not to start(timing is out).

JPI

I did get it to start but it had no power....felt like a v4. Spoke to my brothers friend who used to work for Lexus and he told me that my timing was probally off a tooth. I eye balled it the first 3-4 times and everything seemed to be lining up correctly. I grabbed a cigarette box to match the marks up just to make certain that my timing was dead on and guess what, he was right...it was off by a tooth. So instead of just repositioning the belt and cam pulleys I ended up changing my timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler bearings. I figured since I was that close I might as well replace all that stuff just to have some peace of mind. I took the car for a spin last night and everythings real smooth.

I took pictures as I went along and will be posting them in the tutorials. LOC is a great place with a great deal of help so I'm trying to give back however I can. Thanks everyone!!

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, registered just to post this because i think i have the answer as to why your car decided to work.

I had this same problem with exactly the same symptoms after replacing the water pump and all that jazz. And after trying everything i could think like replacing the distributor caps and rotors I took the distributor rotors off one last time and looked at the back. The little notch that is suppose to only fit one way when its bolted down was squished. Turns out in this image (step 12 of the excellent water pump guide) http://www.lexls.com/images/timingbelt/timingbelt18.jpg the rotors are facing the wrong way when the crankshaft is TDC, which it is in the image. Thats why the engine tryed and tryed to start but the firing order was odd. So Im guessing that when you put it back together that last time you put the rotors on correctly and bam, purrs like a kitten.

*edit* JPI got it on the last page, but yeah. Its so easy to put the rotors on wrong, I think it should be stated in the tutorial that the contact on the left rotor should be pointing at #1 on the distributor cap