1st Gear Slip

i had a drain and fill done on the tranny 3 days ago the technician said he couldnt flush the fluid because it was black and burnt. if he does, it will make the particles that are holding the bands around the shifting mechanisims pistons in the tranny together, disentigrate. he said the only thing he can do is a partial drain/refill. it took 2.8 quarts out of 6.9 (according to the owners manual). now, when i am at less than >5 MPH or so and coasting (such as when pulling into a parking space), the tranny downshifts, but it feels like it doesnt know where to downshift to. like it tires to downshift, instead it just falls flat on its face.

its a very intermittenent problem. i also get a "clunk" on shifts sometimes. i feel it in the gas pedal. my manual contour did this, butit had a bad rear rol restirctor, which i replaced, and that cured the problem.

inside the car, she isnt shifting hard, but i have a buddy look at the motor from outside, while i drove with the hood up, and he said the motor rocks badly when the tranny shifts (with no resonator and a high flow cat, you can hear the exhaust pretty good, to know right about where it changes gear). could this be a bad mount?? or is it the dreaded "hard shifting before dropping out" syndrome?

If the motor rocks a lot then I would have the motor mounts checked.  ;)

i hope thats all it is,thats a weekend project, unlike a tranny swap, which would have my car out of comission for weeks.

besides, according to discounttoyotaparts.com, the Auotmatic Transaxle for the 1990 ES250 is $2,263new... :blink: :

You have to ask yourself this question, "Is it really worth all this expense on a 15 year old car"?  :(

no its not, btu at the same tme, i dont have anotherone to use right now...so it may have to be. i just need it to last till february, when i go active duty. then i wont have to wrry about a car for awhile. its not slipping bad, if i baby it i think i can milk her.

ill look around on ebay for a gen II camry ATX...will it bolt up?

I Don't know about your problem, but my fuel was black too!!! I drained soem out and put new transmission fluid in, then did it again a few weeks later, and haven't checked, i bet it is still all dark, is that really bad??!

I Don't know about your problem, but my fuel was black too!!! I drained soem out and put new transmission fluid in, then did it again a few weeks later, and haven't checked, i bet it is still all dark, is that really bad??!

heh, you mean fluid, not fuel. :D

yes that is a bad thing. black tranny fluid is never good. it shoudl always have a reddish tint to it. like the color fo strawberry jelly (but not the same cosistency). if it ever looks like 6,000 mile old motor oil, then its too late.

but, your fluid is not still dark. after draining approx 2.8 quarts out of 6.9, my fluid now has a reddish tint to it. if you have done yours twice in a few weeks, yours is redder than mine. what i need to know is should i have it done again and slowly put new fluid back into it, or will i just be replaceing the tranny if i do???