Where Do I Look?

riz1

As soon as I press down on the brake pedal on my 2002 ES300 the tail-light out icon on my dashboard lights up. However, I cannot seem to find the light that is out. I have checked (visual inspection) the brake, turn and reverse lights and they seem to be fine.

What can I do to find out which light is really out or if it is some electrical problem. Note: When I first start the car that icon is off. As soon as I press the brake it appears and stays on for the duration of the trip.

Any advice would be appreciated.

riz, this is a 2 person job or you can park back to a big mirror.

if the little icon comes on when you step on the brake pedal, then it means a brake light is out. If the icon stays lit regardless of stepping on the pedal then it is a taillight or misc bulb that is out.

have someone stand behind the car while you step on the brake.

The left and right bulbs are easily accessed through the 4x4 square doors inside the trunk just behind the bulb.

The high mount buld is easy too. get in the back seat and face out the back window. put a hand on each side of the cover to the high mount light. slide the cover to your left (not the car's left). then pull up on the leading edge of the cover and then direct the cover up and out. The bulb will still be inserted to the cover, just twist the connector and it comes loose. remove old, insert new and put it back in reverse order.

steviej

Thanks steviej!

I will try taking a look at the lights with the back cover removed since your instructions seem quite straightforward. I have actually had someone press the brake while I examined the lights (at night) and did not notice any bulbs that were out. The light on the dash remains lit even when I am not pressing the brake. i.e. it stays from first press (even while parked and on) till I switch off the car.

There is one area of the light panel that seems darker than the rest: its a small piece on the side of the car that looks like a reflector. Is that supposed to be a light?

Riz

I am having exactly the same problem with my 2000 ES 300. I bought the car used in July, and it is the only flaw in the car. The "bulb out" warning light comes on when ever the head lights are on. Darned if I can find any bulbs out.....

I am having exactly the same problem with my 2000 ES 300.  I bought the car used in July, and it is the only flaw in the car.  The "bulb out" warning light comes on when ever the head lights are on.  Darned if I can find any bulbs out.....

mine does it too, but its 15 yearsold, i have chalked it up to a bad sensor i think, or a wiring problem...i should have 4 brake lights in the bach (not including the top light) right??

i have only 2 that illuminate as brake lights on the body fo the car, the two inner ones (closest to the liscense plate) illuminate only as running lights, but go out completely as soon as the brake pedal is depressed. i will take pix in a minute.

EDIT: heres the pix, they dont go out completely, but they dont get any brighter:

just headlights:

DCP02146.sized.jpg

brakes on:

DCP02147.sized.jpg

are they working correctly?? yes iknow i have aliscense plate light out, but thats not whast triggering it i dont think.