Replace P/s Pump

JDOwen2

I replaced my powersteering pump yesterday along with a new distributer cap and rotor. I have the Lexus manual and for this job it was worthless. It is straight forward though. Remove accessory drive belt, remove two bolts that secure pump and one bolt that secures hoses and a hose clamp. I jammed a screwdrive through the pulley and removed the pulley nut while still on the car. Put pulley on new pump and bolted back in. Topped off with fresh ATF. No more moaning from the pump. I got the parts from Hoy-Fox Toyota. Ordered on Monday, received parts on Wednesday. $303.12 for a new pump, Checker wanted $250.00 for a rebuilt.

14 mm socket to remove belt and two p/s pump bolts. Pliers to remove hose clamp and 22 or 24 mm socket to remove banjo bolt. I didn't have one but found that a 7/8" socket worked. Only thing you'll need is ATF to refill the pump.'

14 mm socket to remove belt and two p/s pump bolts. Pliers to remove hose clamp and 22 or 24 mm socket to remove banjo bolt. I didn't have one but found that a 7/8" socket worked. Only thing you'll need is ATF to refill the pump.'

Thanks. I got it done over the weekend. Took about 4 hours but was worth it saving all that money on labor. I broke a hose and am getting it from the dealer tomorrow so that will be the end of the whining..Thanks for your help!

I replaced the hose last night and filled with fluid. It tokk aawhile to get the air out and I was a little worried but after about 15 min, I put the cap back on and let it run for about 5 min. After that I almost gave up but then the pump started getting quiet. I got back in the car and sure enough, perfect silky smooth steering with no noises from the pump.