Steering Is Tight...

Ok, I'm having a problem for which I could use some advice. Had my GS300 for just about a year. Since I started driving it, I occasionally noticed something peculiar about the steering. Imagine you're cruising along at say 40 to 50 MPH and you encounter a right or left sweeper, nice medium length curve. I drive into the curve and the steering wheel does not try to return to center. If you give it a little nudge, it will go. Doesn't happen again for a while.

Fast-forward a year to the present. In the last several days I notice this phenomenon occurring more and more frequently. So much in fact that whenever you let go of the wheel, is stays in whatever position it is in. I'm hearing clicking whenever I let up the pressure when turning the wheel. Also the power steering pump is making more noise than usual. I noticed this because I never heard any noise from it before. So I break out the ole' toolbox.

Checked the fluid, perfect level, clean, no leaks. Put the car up on the lift and look for damage. No rust, nothing damaged. Just had the car aligned a few weeks ago. So I disconnect the outer tie rod ends. Now that I have eliminated the possibility of something in the upper or lower (relatively new) ball joints binding, the rack ends are hanging free. The pump still strains to move the rack and it is even difficult to move with the engine off. Normally, like during brake service, you can grab a tire and turn it left or right to gain access behind the caliper. I tried to move the tire manually now, and I just about knocked the car sideways on the lift. Something is definitely tight.

I have exhausted all of the possibilities mentioned in the service manual with the exception of checking the hydraulic pressure in the system. I don't have the correct adaptors and gauges to do so. I'm leaning on the binding I'm feeling as coming from the rack itself, or more remotely the pump. I only consider the pump to be a possibility because of the remote chance that the pressure control valve (solenoid reads 8 ohms, within spec) or check valve may be blocked, broken, or stuck trapping pressure in the rack making it difficult to move. I'm feeling more that this is a rack gone south.

Any insight?

Changed the rack with a rebuilt unit today. Now it's smoother than it was when I bought the car. Only problem I had was the rack wasn't remanufactured properly. It is wider than the original. They will be exchanging it. Akk! Again with the ATF down both arms! :censored: