Rattling Noise From Rear In Idle

LexyDriver

I usually have the stereo on loud enough not to notice noises coming from the car. B) I realized after a couple months of purchasing my 01' RX300 that there is a rattling noise coming from the rear when the car is idle at a stop light. When I begin to accelerate I don't hear the sound, either b/c it goes away or the engine covers the noise. I'm thinking it goes away when the car is in motion.

It's more of a nuisance than anything, but I want to get rid of it. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? :wacko: Thanks!

First things first - check the spare tire wheel well to see if there could be any loose objects rattling around in there. You could find loose jack parts, spare lug nuts, or who knows what. Be sure to remove the spare tire and conduct a thorough inspection. And when you place the spare tire back into position, be sure to crank it down tightly. It could also be your spare tire rattling if it's not secured tightly.

That's a good point. If I don't wedge my wheel lock in between something, it rattles against the lug wrench. It could also be a portion of the exhaust system rattling against another part.

Either way, it should be easy to find with the help of a friend.

Try this. While it is rattling with your foot on the brake, shift into reverse. Did the sound go away or did it stay the same???

Tom

• 7 months later...