Help! O2 Sensor Error Code P0135

whiskey

My check engine light is on. An oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. the code is p1035. The bank 1 sensor 1 needs to be replaced. Does anyone know which/where that sensor is? the part is also $161.00 from advanced auto. please help.

thanks!!!

There are 2 sensors in the exhaust manifold before the catalytic converter and one sensor after the cat. Someone that is more familiar with the codes may be able to tell you specifically, but I would guess that refers to the first sensor before the cat.

Changing an O2 sensor is incredibly easy. If you have a set of wrenches or a socket set w/ an O2 sensor socket then it is only a couple of quick turns. Unplug the wiring harness at the contact point, remove the old O2 sensor, then put the new sensor back in place and plug it back in to the harness. Find someone to reset the code and you're set.

Also, you may find better prices on sensors here. You can even get the socket adaptor from them. Just stay away from the universal type unless you want to cut & splice wires under the hood.

is that the one you can see at the front of the engine towards the grill? i don't see another one. i have the socket and sensor. just want to be sure to change the right one. if that isn't the one, do you stand by the drivers side or passenger side to see the other one?

thanks for the help. i really appreciate it.

svarog

basically stated, the O2 sensor detects the amount of air in relation to unburned fuel. This ratio is signalled back to the ECU so that proper settings can be made by the computer for fuel and air delivery to a particular group of cylinders.

Cars used to have 1 located just in the exhaust in front of the catalytic converter, and they were replaceable for about $30. As emmisions became more and more stringent, emerging emissions technology requied better control and more thorough monitoring. O2 sensors found there way to each set of cylinders and even after the cat.

do a google search on oxygen sensors to get a better description.

whiskey

try jacking up the front of the car. If I remeber correctly, the O2 sensor for the Bank 1 Sensor 1 can be reached from underneath the car. I may be completely wrong, but I think I remember seeing one on the rear exhaust pipe last time I was under there. Mind you, I may have the post cat sensor in mind.

The one by the grille is Bank 2 Sensor 1.

steviej

Sorry, I have given some misinformation in the picture posted and retracted it.

The picture previously posted is of bank 1 sensor 2. That picture has been moved further up in this thread to answer the subsequent members question.

The following is what I have obtained from my 2002 ES shop manual:

Bank 1 is the right hand three cylinders (RH) that are against the firewall, that information was correct. O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 is the one in the RH header/exhaust manifold assembly.

Bank 2 is the left hand three cylinders (LH) up front by the radiator. O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1 is the one in the LH header/exhaust manifold assembly.

again, I apologize for any confusion.

steviej

Edited by steviej

this is a picture I posted in a thread about changing your tranny fluid. I remebered there were pictures and sure enough I caught Bank 1 Senor 2 in a picture.

In this picture, the exhaust pipe makes a u turn. There is a spark plug looking sensor screwed into the "U" bend in the exhaust pipe. (in the picture right under the word PAN). That sensor is the Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 sensor.

ATF_Change_004.jpg

steviej