97 Es 300 Shocks/ Struts Replacement

clark2311

has anyone replaced their shocks/ struts to improve the smoothness of the ride? My 97 es has 100,000 miles on it and I don't know how often shocks are replaced. All I know is that my car isn't as smooth as it used to be, I feel a lot of bumps in the road and it's aggravating me. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank You!

If the ride is getting harsh, it is probably time. Do you notice more bouncing? Can you isolate whether it is in the front or rear (or both)? Mine started making some noise.

I just replaced the left and right rear struts, strut mounts, and sway bar links in my '95 ES 300. I have 115K on the odo. All together it came to @ $450 with parts & labor.

KYB manufactured the struts for Lexus originally and I used their aftermarket replacement ones because I wanted the same ride quality as the OEM. I don't know who made the struts for the '97-'01 model years, but if you want the same ride quality then find out and make sure you get the same ones.

If, however, you have ever thought about lowering your ride, now is the time to do it.

Yeah, $450-$500 is about what I would have guessed.

I wanted to get the shocks done this summer but my dumb @ss destroyed my exhaust system...$500 down the drain so they'll have to wait till winter. I haven't noticed any further wear of the shocks and they aren't in too bad of shape (while the ride isn't as smooth as I'd like the driveability hasn't been effected). So, it can wait.

has anyone replaced their shocks/ struts to improve the smoothness of the ride? My 97 es has 100,000 miles on it and I don't know how often shocks are replaced. All I know is that my car isn't as smooth as it used to be, I feel a lot of bumps in the road and it's aggravating me. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank You!

Same situation. 1997 ES300 with 85,000 miles. Ride has degraded and hearing some clunks from the rear.

Problem finding a mechanic (other than the dealer) in Seattle that understands this adjustable suspension system. One was ready to install new KYB struts and decided he could not since there was not an electronic hook-up for the adjustable feature.

I looked up parts on PickPro and found the KYB GR-2 Gas Strut is adjustable. Did the mechanic not know how or did he have the wrong part. I guess I had the wrong mechanic...The dealer wants $2000 for replacing front and rear.

Any advice?

• 1 month later...
heh, mine are just starting to go on my '94 and I was wondering the same thing.

Although after riding in my friend's cars, a Lexus with worn shocks still has a smoother ride than 90% of the cars out there.

What type of noises did your hear when your struts were going bad?