Trac Off Light And Engine Light Both On

jamesliz

Three days ago I had to evacuate New Orleans due to hurricane Ivan threat. After sitting in traffic for 4 hours with my 2000 ES 300 (basically not moving at all, idling in 90 degree weather with air on) suddenly both the track off light and engine light came on. Believe me I realize what a trememdous strain this was in terms of heat build up and I should have popped the hood. However, I drove the car back home (the car seemed to drive fine) and evacuated later in a different vehicle. After returning to New Orleans 3 days later I started the car and both lights are off. Have I permanently damaged something or do you think it was just the result of the driving conditions and all will be fine? Or is it some electrical problem, Mass Air Flow Sensor problem, or a vacuum hose that I cooked? I only have 30,000 miles on the car. I hope I have not caused the beginning of some intermittant problem. And I certainly don't want to give a dealer some freedom to replace whatever part they desire. I read in an earlier post that someone had the same problem after his car was serviced for his 60,000 mile check by the dealer. The reponse was that his car had entered into 'safety mode' . What exactly is this mode and can the car come out it automatically with no dealer intervention? What should I check? Please help!

I don't think its CC problem because that was resolved before 2000. The government settlement only applies through 1999. I think my ES 300 went into 'safety mode' as someone described in an earlier post regarding this condition. I would like more info about this mode and since lights have gone off will everything be okay now.

I don't think its CC problem because that was resolved before 2000. The government settlement only applies through 1999. I think my ES 300 went into 'safety mode' as someone described in an earlier post regarding this condition. I would like more info about this mode and since lights have gone off will everything be okay now.

I agree with you, but you shouldn't rule out the possibility of a charcoal canister problem on your '00 ES since this occurred in my '01 ES last year.

At any rate, if you need more info on the story behind your TRAC OFF and CEL lights, I recommend you either take your car to Autozone (where they can diagnose the error codes for free) or to your local Lexus dealership (where they could charge an $85 diagnostic fee but can give you the most detailed and accurate info).