Strange Tranny Characteristic

bobstoc

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a '99 LS400 with 64k miles. What's bothering me is that sometimes the car lurches forward when giving it gas after I slow down to almost a complete stop. For example: When I ALMOST come to a complete stop at a red light. If the light turns green prior to the stop and I give it gas, there is a slight hesitation and then the cars lurches forward. It seems like the tranny downshifts to first rather than staying in second?? The fluid level is fine and the car has had all recommended services at Lex dlr. Any help or similar conditions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Is there a 6yr/70k mile powertrain warranty (factory) on my car?

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a '99 LS400 with 64k miles. What's bothering me is that sometimes the car lurches forward when giving it gas after I slow down to almost a complete stop. For example: When I ALMOST come to a complete stop at a red light. If the light turns green prior to the stop and I give it gas, there is a slight hesitation and then the cars lurches forward. It seems like the tranny downshifts to first rather than staying in second?? The fluid level is fine and the car has had all recommended services at Lex dlr. Any help or similar conditions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Is there a 6yr/70k mile powertrain warranty (factory) on my car?

Yes.......this is normal.......but I don't necessarily like it.

Mine does the exact same thing - the downshifting to first - then you hit the gas and it shifts (with just a tiny lurch) to second. It's to preserve the engine basically.

The hesitation is noticeable because the rest of the tranny is soooo perfect :lol:

and yes............ 6 yr / 70K powertrain warranty is standard.

If you want the dealer to double-check everything, its about $50 for the diag/inspection. I'm at 65,400 miles (right with you), so I occasionally ponder if I should do this @ 69K just in case it's a warranty issue.