Help With My Gs Key & Keyless Entry/alarm

Batteries to the key of my car went dead. Problem is, now that I got the battery, the screw is messed up because either the previous owner of the car messed it up or because it was just old. There is nothing in my tool cabinet that can take this out since it is so messed up.

Any other way to open this?

I want to avoid buying a new key as far as I can. Keyless entry, I could live without. But if the alarm ever goes off, I'm screwed.

You might try a jewler's straight blade screwdriver. They are available in small sets of various sizes. Sears also has a selection you can "try" before you buy. :whistles: The idea is to wedge it in what's left of the screw and try to back it out. The bigger delema will be trying to find a replacement screw. A tiny flat head sheet metal screw isn't the easiest screw to find. You can borrow one from another remote or maybe find one at Lowe's/Home Depot (specialty hardware drawers) or some hardware store.

Sears also has some screw extractor sets which may be helpful. If you have a machine shop near you, they will most likely be able to get it out without damaging the remote. They are usually well equipped for removing damaged fasteners.

This is a tool similar to what a machine shop may use to remove it. You'd have to clamp the remote (lightly) in position and use a slow, reversed direction drill press to do it yourself. In this particular set, the smallest size may prove too large though. If you try this approach, I'd suggest turning the drill press chuck by hand while applying slight downward pressure until it catches in the head. Remember the leave up the pressure as the screw comes out. A handheld drill would be better because of the variable speed, but harder to hold steady in such a small screw.

• 2 weeks later...