I Want My Ipod

Tetons

I would like to find a way to play my iPod while I drive. I have tried a FM transmitter and could not find any frequencies in my area that do not have static, besides it sounds terrible. Has anyone used a cassette adaptor? Is there a way I can run an adaptor plug to my iPod that goes directly into the sound system?

My husband had his BMW wired to accept his iPod but is not happy with not being able to control it to find the songs he wants. The sound is great, though. (By the way, I traded in a 2002 BMW 530i for my 2004 Lexus RX330 and I never looked back).

I'm calling my Lexus dealer tomorrow to see if they know if this is possible.

My brother uses a cassette adapter in his BMW instead of the hardwire method. When I rode with him it sounded great. Very little "hiss". I wouldn't waste any money trying to do the hardwire thing unless you just can't stand the sight of the wire running from the Ipod into the cassette deck. The cassette adapters are less than $10 most places; a dime a dozen on Ebay.

Really the only way you can do it is with a tape adapter. Tape adapters have very good sound generally.

I have Sirius satellite radio in my ES and have it hardwired into the antenna plugin through an FM switchbox. If your wireless FM transmitter has an FM out jack then you could have this done for $25 (cost of the switch box) plus the cost of any installation, or you could do it yourself. This would still be FM transmitted but you wont have the problem of breakins because the switchbox cancels out all other FM frequencies when the FM transmitter is turned on. This is how I have my Sirius tuner wired.

The sound is good, not CD quality but like the strongest FM channel. Sound would probably be better with the cassete adapter but then you've got that wire.

The problem is that a hard install like what was done to your husband's BMW isn't possible because the Lexus has no aux inputs in the factory stereo.

Good luck! Let us all know how it turns out.

RX300 is very iPod friendly...

I use one of these IPOD skins made of injected rubber:

http://tinyurl.com/57nb6

And it fits great here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index..._gallery&id=171

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index..._gallery&id=170

The grip is remarkable, it has never once budged from that position even during the sharpest of cornering. About the only thing that affects it is when the car gets inverted. :)

I also run a cigarette-socket charger for the iPod from the central consoles rear socket, under the drivers seat for in-car charging. Fairly invisible but very convenient.

RX300 is very iPod friendly...

I use one of these IPOD skins made of injected rubber:

http://tinyurl.com/57nb6

And it fits great here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index..._gallery&id=171

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index..._gallery&id=170

The grip is remarkable, it has never once budged from that position even during the sharpest of cornering. About the only thing that affects it is when the car gets inverted. :)

I also run a cigarette-socket charger for the iPod from the central consoles rear socket, under the drivers seat for in-car charging. Fairly invisible but very convenient.

I figured it would work there. I modified mine by lining it with foam-type insulation and it holds my cell phone perfectly.

Tetons:

Are you sure your head is clean in your cassette deck? Or it could be that the adapter isn't lining up correctly with the head in the deck. If you really think it's the Sony cassette (also very possible), get on Ebay and buy a cheapie there. I bought one on Ebay that I use to plug my portable DVD player into and it works great.

Response to jgoodman: Thanks for the pictures and the link to the iPod accessory site. Just how often do you invert your RX??? :blink: The RX330 has a different console configuration than you have shown, but there is a great space for the iPod.

Regarding the Denison unit...

To connect it to the factory stereo, it seems you need a unit with a separate CD changer, rather than one that is integrated into the head unit.

It connects the iPod to the stereo through the existing CD changer cable that typically runs to the glovebox or trunk:

Retail boxed and end-user installable kits connects to the trunk end of CD changer cable for BMW,  Mini, Audi and VW vehicles.

So, I don't think this is a viable solution for the RX330.

Upon further investigation on the Denison site, it shows that a certain adapter kit IS compatible w/ the RX330, although I'm confused how it connects to the head unit, unless somehow it replaces the connection to the in-dash CD changer:

iceLink v1.1 for iPod and certain 2003+Toyota/Lexus/Scion Vehicles

Compatibility:

Lexus 2003-2004 LX470, 2004 RX330

Scion 2004 xA, 2004 xB, 2004 tC

Toyota 2003-2004 4-Runner, 2004 Camry (w/ Nav), 2003-2004 Celica 2004 Echo, 2003-2004 Highlander, 2003-2004 Landcruiser, 2003-2004 MR2, 2004 Prius, 2004 Sequoia, 2004 Sienna (w/o DVD), 2004 Solara, 2004 Tundra

Please note that this kit may not work with the 6cd in-dash radio on certain models.

Details:

This kit connects to the back of the radio. Installation requires removal of radio. Specific radio removal keys may be required. Radio may require security code after installation. 3ft cable requires iPod cradle placement near the dash. Professional installation recommended!

Kit does not include vehicle mount. For professional mounting, please select one of the proclip mounts from the related items list.

Also, they have a couple of mounting kits specifically for the RX330; here's a few photos of the center-mount model:

Denison mount for RX330