Cd Player Problem...

hammer008

While on a rather long trip, I had the CD on for about 3 hours. All of a sudden, the sound goes silent but the display shows it is still playing. When I turned on the volume I just heard pops and hisses. I tried changing to another CD (6 changer) and the same thing happens.

I turned on the radio and let the CD rest for a bit....after 5 minutes it plays again...I noticed that this happens once in a while.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

It could be a loose wire or the CD player is overheating. here could be a problem with the motor that drives the laser across the disc. Is there anything in the trunk rattling around that could bump into the player?

It would be tough to make any sort of diagnosis with so little detail. You need to provide some more details and maybe we can point you in the right direstion. Always look for patterns or thing that coud trigger the problem.

Do you ever notice any problems with the radio or tape deck?

Does it happen alot or a little?

How long do you usually run the CD player before it quits?

Are there any other problems with the audio system?

Do poor road conditions make it worse?

Does it happen more when it is raining or dry?

etc...

z>It could be a loose wire or the CD player is overheating.

What would solve those?

>across the disc. Is there anything in the trunk rattling >around that could bump into the player?

I had a luggage but on the other side of the trunk.

>Do you ever notice any problems with the radio or tape >deck?

Never, only when playing the CD.

>Does it happen alot or a little?

It has happened twice in the last 2 months.

>How long do you usually run the CD player before it quits?

About 2 to 3 hours.

>Are there any other problems with the audio system?

Absolutely none. Only the CD player....like when I start the car, I have to turn the CD on and off to get it going in the morning. I suspected condensation on the lens.

>Do poor road conditions make it worse?

No but I have had skips due to bumps on the highway.

>Does it happen more when it is raining or dry?

Both times it was fairly dry weather...hot and dry.

It sounds like the problem is in your CD unit itself. I don't think that condensation on the lens is the problem. If it has been hot & dry then the condensation should have evaporated - especially at trunk temperatures.

Most likely there is a problem with a loose wire somewhere or an audio input/output gone bad. If the display states that the CD is working and you can change discs & tracks then I doubt that the player has gone bad. Check all of the wiring connections that you can.