Amsoil

vyhanh

If I understand it correctly, it's related to AMWAY? If it is, that's enough reason for me to avoid it even if it was a good product.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the Amway connection.

Bob

If I understand it correctly, it's related to AMWAY? If it is, that's enough reason for me to avoid it even if it was a good product.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the Amway connection.

Bob

I am sure you are correct. The coporate colours are identical, the style of writing is the same, and the zealousness of the sales people is at least as strident, if not more so.

Mobil is wholly owned by Exxon now, which is about the largest corporation on the planet. Some little outfit like Amsoil isn't going to beat the resources and research of Mobil. I trust Mobil. Besides they sponsor PBS.

It is NOT related to AMWAY. Excellent product. I use it in both of my LS400's. (I am NOT a dealer).

I put about 30,000 miles a year on each LS. Tired of oil changes. The cost per qt is a bit higher than Mobile 1 but the filter is about $5 less.

The 5w-30 I use is guaranteed up to 25,000. But the oil filter must be changed at 12,500 miles or 6 months. I "chickened out" and changed oil at 18,000. Did two oil analyses, one at 11,000, when I changed the oil filter and again at 18,000. Both were good to continue being used.

The first time I used Amsoil was in 1978, but the vehicle I put it in "used oil" regardless of what kind. It was a brand-new Dodge 15 passenger van.

I later went to Mobile One on my Hondas, with very good results, but had to change oil around every 6 or 7,000 miles. Mobile one is good and more easily available.

Keep in mind that ALL companies are in business to make money. A smaller company cannot rely on its reputation when it goes up against the big boys - Therefore, to be and remain successful, their product HAS to be good.

Definitely the "traditional" thinking of oil changes every 3,000 miles is a waste of oil, money and not good for the enviroment.

Yes, bottom line, the final decision can be subjective, but it does pay to do your homework.

Cheers,

Earl B