Power Steering

zen999

hello; I am a new member... I recently bought a 1991 ls400 from a friend of mine with 100,000 miles on it. My mechanic who is also a co worker replaced timing belt and leaking P/s. got the car back but disappointed with p/s is so stiff that i am a little bit worried driving it. Never had any issues before per previous owner except for the leak. any info or diy tutorials will be greatly apprecaited.... thnk you very much....

Well, congratulations on your LS but I had the same problem and spent some good money on it. My car wanted to drive where it wanted to!

I was told there is a steering problem with our cars that can be fixed without too much trouble. Another thing I had to do is replace my new Goodyear Eagle GA's as they had Radial Pull - who would figure?

Good Luck with your car. Ron Johnson

ron@ronsadvice.com

hello, I am sorry to hear that. but anyway i am not a diy person and i bought the car really cheap. I do not know if i need to have the tires replace too... I know for sure it needs a tranny flush.... but still discovering things about the car. other than those issues. the car is immaculate both interior and exterior....

Make sure PS fluid is full and:

you need to clean the PS solenoid screen for starters - do a thread search on this....

Then " Bleed" the PS system; raise front wheels off ground and turn steering wheel lock to lock several times with PS reservoir cap on LOOSELY. then start car and leave on idle and repeat above. turn off car and tighten PS cap.

Make sure the Serpentine belt is sufficiently snug...should be.

hello 99lsguy, thank you very much for the info. I will print this out and have my mechanic do these steps as you mentioned. I am not a DIY person and i am sure my so called mechanic will appreciate the recommendation... I have read most comments about the solenoid that needs cleaning. I will print a picture of that thread. maybe it will help him identify it better. i find these forums informative so thnk you very much...... :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club Zen999. If after you've done what 99LSguy suggested and the problem lingers, I'd recommend checking the type of fluid that's in the reservior or just changing the fluid out all together. It's a pain in the neck, but it could solve the problem. Also, at what PSI are your tires set at? Did your mechanic/friend notice any leaks/wetspots underneath the car?

ucf3-

Excellent point on the fluid! It could be the wrong stuff ;)

Do not use fluid labelled "power steering fluid"......check the owners manual!! It probably uses Dex III tranny fluid - which holds up better and is from factory

I think someone did a PS flush once and put the wrong fluid back in and causes similar problems.............flushed it out with Dex III and was much better. I imagine you'll need to run 3-5 quarts thru the system to get it cleaned out.

Check out a thread search on "PS flush procedure" by K9Crew.......it's got the details.

thank you 99ls and ucf3. your info is greatly aprreciated.. I will take the car back to my mechanic. and will print out both of your recommendations for him..We will see how it turns out.. I wll keep you guys posted. there is also one question that I am dying to ask you guys... my mechanic/co-worker had ask me about if this p/s system has a vacuum assist? per him he has not seen this kind of set up with other cars he had worked on( honda and mazda).. Do not know what to tell him... but I am assuming vacuum lines he has seen are off the idler valve off the pump.. i am not technical savvy at all. so please help me clarify. do you think it is specific on this car? or just standard on all ls? thanks :rolleyes:

Yes - std on the LS

Its call an "air control valve" and located on the uderside of the ps vane pump. It's got a couple of "Horns" on it that the vacuum tubes run out of........

This has been a common culprit for PS leaks - but easily replaceable. About a $90 part.