Seeking 1997 Sc400 Power

I own a 97 SC400 and am search of info. regarding performance upgrades. All I have done so far is the BFI intake mod. I am searching for the best bang for the buck mods. A friend said the best performance upgrade is in the torque converter, are there any testimonies to support this? What exhaust system will perform without becoming an annoyance in sound? Who makes headers for this car? Anyone that has suggestions of where I can grab some good HP in my SC please LMK. I really am looking for those who have successfully done these upgrades and are willing to share what they have compiled.

If you want to upgrade the power of a car, the Lexus SC300 automatic is a poor choice. It takes a lot of $$ to significantly increase the power of a normally aspirated engine.

Buy a turbocharged engine with a manual transmision (e.g. Porsche 944 Turbo) then raise the boost pressure and get a new engine management chip to remap the fuel delivery. That's the best bang-for-the buck in terms of horsepower and torque.

If it's better handling that you desire, then change the tires, get thicker swaybars, raise the spring rates, and get shocks with sport valving.

Headers and different torque converter on your SC will do little in terms of "performance upgrades."

You can squeek small increases out of the sc 400 engine with headers-exhaust etc, but the best bet for HP is to Supercharge the beast. Call TM Engineering in Carson Ca. or Carson Toyota same town,they keep coming up everywhere as the go to guys. Good luck and let me know....

If performace is your only goal,and not comfort ,sway bars with plastic bushings will help accomplish that.If what you really want is to soup up the SC then your getting into upgraded struts- springs- body mods,which again individually only give small increases-it's combining all these rather expensive items that make big changes. Hope this helps and does not discourage you from your quest.

I'm new to the Lexus scene, but it seems like the SC400 has a pretty restrictive exhaust. Won't changing that out release some stifled HP? I know a lot of companies support the SC300 or at least the equivilant Soarers (turbo/NA), but do many accomodate the V8 Soarer/SC400? I'm guessing there are some threads to search...