Lx450 Brake Master Cylinder

EnDLesS

Dear all 450 owners:

Anyone been replace brake master cylinder?

The other while i was drivin i noticed that when i stepped on the brake pedal, the brake pedal goes deep~deeper. And i checked on the all brake pads they all fine still 75% thickness.

Well my450 never had brake master cylinder replace in 7 years~not even once.

I been thinking to replace it by myself, since i already bought new one from local dealer. My question is replacin the brake master cylinder hard to do?

I know after install new one needs to be bleeds from all 4 brake lines.

I appreciate for experienced , share & info

:cheers:

Never replaced the Master Cylinder, so I can't help there, however I did have the problem of the pedal having excessive travel.

When I bought my LX450 in October 2003, I noticed that the brake was very mushy. Checked the pads and they had plenty of thinkness, so I assumed it was just the way the truck was designed. However, after 19,000 miles, I got the pads replaced.

My neighbor owns his own shop and has a Toyota master mechanic on his staff. They cleaned the rotors (didn't have to turn or replace them, whew!) and put new pads (that I bought from JT Outfitters) and the brakes work great now. There is no travel, they grab as soon as I begin to depress the pedal. I don't know if the mechanic made any adjustments, but they certainly did not replace the master cyclinder.

I paid $20 for the pads and $72 for labor.

I just wonder if replacing the master cylinder is going to resolve the issue you are having.

good luck

Never had to replace the master cylinder. None of my friends either. Could be air in the brake line somehow? Have you tried bleeding the lines? Try that firs before replacing the MC. Worst case is that you're just out some fluid.

Alanc & Dougjohn:

I asked my mechanic , also few other mechanic but end up got the same answer.

Which if you see the brake fluid (reservoir) darked, that means the brake fluid contaminated from the master cylinder ~can cause rubber worn out from the master cylinder itself.

I did everyhting u guys named~ check all the brake pads(still 75%thickness) by the way im using orginal Toyota Pads (had bad experienced from other brand which is Squeak ,etc..

Also i did bleeds all 4 lines with the step by step from front left- front right then rear left -rear right with the engine on.

All that only good for while but after i drove for few miles still ...when i step on the brake or sometimes on stop n go traffic i feel it the brake pedal goes deep n deeper.

Will that possibly true that the brake master cylinder gotta go...

Also i look the brake fluid (reservoir) dark color , i remember the fluid should be like goldish color. Do you guys think this maybe one of the cause problem i have?

:(

Thanks for all the comments & info

Did replace the brake master cylinder today..~bleeds all 4 from the brake lines..

but still when i step on the brake the pedal sometimes still goes real deep.. :(

Or maybe there still air trapped inside the system? :angry:

The Worst thing to do after i replaced the brake master cylinder i start the car and shifted to D ~drive damn i stepped on the brake, but the car keep on rollin NO BRAKE ~ i was panic dont know what to do step on the brake shifted back to P~parking whew~I bleeded few time (about 1 half bottle brake fluid) tried to get the whole air out of the brake system..

Thanks Dougjohn, in this case problem solved just for future reference for whoever may need to replace Brake Master Cylinder on the 96-97 LX450 you need

2 bottles of Toyota Brake fluid. 1 bottle to refill into the empty new reservoir and 1 more bottle you need to flush/bleeds all the air bubbles from the 4 brake line.

Now the car back like brand new even little less than quarter apply on the brake

the car 100% stop completely.

Very Happy :) :cheers:

Future mods~ All Stainless brake lines total of 7pcs

2pc for the Front~ Stainless steel brake line

2ps for the Rear~ Stainless steel brake line

2pc for the front ABS center line

1pc for the rear ABS center line

Cost of $600.00 buks just the stainless steel brake lines from overseas.

Will update once install in the 450. :)