How Do I Replace Check Engine Bulb?

deepcdiver

Went to get my car smog checked, was told the check engine light was dead. How does one access this to replace bulb or unit? Thanks, had no luck with a search, first time to this forum, car has 160K trouble free miles. :D

I took my 90 LS400 to have the "airbag" light checked, because it did not work. Turned out that the previous owner had the airbag disconnected (for their safety concerns) and had the light removed. The dealer reconnected the plug, reset the system and replaced the bulb for only $33.00. They charged $30 for checking it and only $1.50 for the bulb. I think it is easy to remove the cluster and the lights are just on top of the cluster. I think only three screws hold the black cover surrounding the cluster..... :unsure: If your dealer is as good as mine, they may change it for less than $10.00.

You Rock :cheers: Took me 5 minutes and there it is! Can you believe the local independant Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus shop, of allegedly good repute, told me they had to "pull the whole dash" and quoted me $137 labor plus the part? :chairshot: :censored:

Firstime i've used this forum, I'm sold :wub:

You Rock :cheers: Took me 5 minutes and there it is! Can you believe the local independant Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus shop, of allegedly good repute, told me they had to "pull the whole dash" and quoted me $137 labor plus the part?:chairshot: :censored:

Firstime i've used this forum, I'm sold :wub:

Glad you got it repaired. Sounds like that shop is not very reputable.

Don't know the part number...$8.50 for a tiny bulb/cap unit from the dealer :(

if you bought it from a dealer, the reciept should have the part number on it. did you throw it out? the box/bag the bulb came in should also have the part number printed on it. i would greatly appreciate it if you could find this number.

Sorry, it was end of a long day, funeral etc., only called the dealer to make certain it was in stock and save a trip. Just followed your thread, as I need three bulbs you just saved me over $20...as I am going to Radio Shack in the AM :P

Just have to unfold and straighten the leads from the bulb from the back of the socket and pull the bulb out. If RS does not have the bulb, my local electronics shop will, they have "everything".

If your shop knew enough to ask if you needed the grey or black socket version, they should know the part #. My 1990 has the black...good luck.

If your shop knew enough to ask if you needed the grey or black socket version, they should know the part #. My 1990 has the black...good luck.

i actually went to the dealer myself with part-in-hand. first i went to the retail parts desk. they sent me up to commercial parts. they both looked at it and couldn't seem to find the right one in stock.