Drl And Hid Kit Question

jlin101

Has anyone been able to turn off the DRL in 2004 RX330's? I heard that it's necessary to turn off DRL and auto headlight before installing an HID kit? Any recommendation? RX 330 has a weird H11 low beam bulb, which significantly limits the availability of HID kit.

You've got a brand new RX330 w/o HID and now decided you want HID lights?

My suggestion is to cut your losses, sell your RX and buy a RX330 with the optional HID's which, by the way, include automatically leveling - an important safety feature and which is also entertaining to watch go through its initialization routine each time you start the car. Aftermarket HID's are just not the same as the OEM ones - do any of them have a leveling control? With lights mounted as high as on the RX, aftermarket HID's without automatic or manual leveling will likely really *BLEEP* off other drivers and be a safety hazard.

I just got the car used off e-bay. There are actually many cars with oem HID's without autoleveling (Infiniti for example). Autoleveling is required for HID in Europe and Canada, but not in the US.

Yes, there are a few car models with HID that have neither manual or automatic leveling HID lights and unfortuately I find it painfully easy to identify them. The DOT is considering changing the U.S requirements for HID and solicited information in a recent survey in which I participated.

I have noticed for some years now that HID's without leveling are often blinding but those car models with HID with leveling cause me absolutely no problem. And this is very noticable for me since I, like many people in the 50's, am developing the beginning of cataracts. The reason the DOT gave for doing its survey was the very high number of complaints about HID - particularly from older drivers.

I just hope HID is not outlawed in the U.S. I sure love the ones in my LS but would never consider buying a car with HID that does not have manual or automatic beam leveling. I made a point of participating in the DOT survey not only hoping that properly designed HID will continue to be available in the U.S., but also with the hope that poorly designed HID without leveling will no longer be allowed.