Rust Hole In My 91 Ls400

tds

I have just discovered a rust hole on my 91 LS400 :( and I thought I should let everyone know.

This rust hole was caused by the dogleg at the front of the rear wheel. (see photo)

Behind the piece of trim on the dogleg (which is just behind the rear door) is an enclosed cavity that is filled with sound deadening material.

If any moisture gets into this area then the sound deadening material holds it against the sheet metal and in a short time you have a rust hole.

The only solution I know of is to drill a hole into this cavity and flood it with rust check or crown check compound (i.e. rust protection spray...preferably before the rust starts).

Now, I live north of Toronto in Canada and they use a lot of road salt in the winter up here, so I expect any cars of 1991 vintage will already have the same rust problem as mine, or soon will.

If you live in an area (e.g. Arizona) where you are not exposed to road salt, then you will not have a problem.

post-4-1090360693.jpg