Poor Power

BOLT

I have a 1992 LS400 with 140k,I just bought the car last week.This is my second Lexus I had a 1992 SC400 fun to drive but hard to fold the kids in the back seat.Here is what is happening.The car is running awful. the check engine light comes on. I put new plugs and wires in it last week, that did'nt help much.The car stumbles when you hit the gas feels like it is missing smells rich like all the fuel is not burning.Also the car is overheating after driven about 20 miles the fans dont seem to be coming on.I took the thermostat out yesterday and the check engine light went out? Any help would be great. Do I have to take the car to dealer to scan the trouble codes for a 92 LS400?

your coil(s) are out. i had the same problem about a month ago. there are two and at this point you might as well change them both because they only run 100 a piece and depening on which dealer you get them at you can get up to 25% off.

Sounds like you have more than one problem. The overheating problem is strange because my fans rarely turn on. I have left my car runing for a long time and the fans never turn on but, the important thing is that my car never overheats. My car stays cool just by the main belt driven fan working. You should never run your car without the thermostat you can do other damage. The missing part does sound like all the cylinders aren't firing. It could be a bad coil but I would first check to see which cylinders aren't firing. You can do so by pulling each wire individually and check which one does not have spark. One of your wires may be bad. Take this procedure slowly don't rush it. You should be able to find the problem. If all cylinders are firing it could be a vaccum leak. Good luck. B)