1993 Lexus Ls400 With Dexron Auto Transmission Oil

arsvivendi

Hi Everyone.

My local Toyota dealer serviced my car with Dexron ($1.50 per bottle) Auto Transmission oil. I read some other Forum yesterday, found that Do not use Dexron with Lexus. I called Lexus dealer about this, one dealer said "No problem with 1993 model", the other dealer told me that "No way". What is your opinion? Do I expect any Transmission failure or any problem caused from Dexron?

Thank You.

from what i know and what repair manual says is that you have to use toyota atf only. you can use other brands of atf for pps and brakes but tranny is toyota only.

This is a very interesting situation. I am now more confused than ever.

I have a 1993 LS 400. I checked the owner's manual, and it states that the transmission fluid should be Dexron II. However, the service manual on page AT-2 states that the transmission fluid should be ATF Type T-II or equivalent.

Are we to assume that Dexron II and ATF Type T-II are different?

The Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin dated June 19, 1998, indicates that Dextron - III (I assume they mean Dexron) can be used when Dextron II or III are specified. However, Dexron III should not be used when Type T-II is specified.

It appears that either the owner's manual or the service manual has a misprint.

The transmission fluid dipstick is ALWAYS the ultimate authority:

Example: here's the 1991 LS400 dipstick: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/T-II.JPG

and here's a 2003 Toyota Corolla dipstick: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typetdipstick.jpg

The dealer is right that the '93 ES300 uses ONLY Dexron II or III fluid, never Type T-II or any of the other Type T fluids.

Again, you can prove it to yourself by looking at the dipstick and I can guarantee the '93 ES300 dipstick will say Dexron, just like the cap on your power steering system says "use only Dexron ATF"

Oops, I misunderstood. I though the car in question was a '93 ES300, but I see it's a '93 LS400. So in that case only Type T-IV is the only acceptable fluid to use: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typet.jpg

(yes the '93:S400 dipstick says Type T-II, but Type T-II is no longer made and Type T-IV is the approved replacement for Type T-II

Hi Everyone.

My local Toyota dealer serviced my car with Dexron ($1.50 per bottle) Auto Transmission oil. I read some other Forum yesterday, found that Do not use Dexron with Lexus. I called Lexus dealer about this, one dealer said "No problem with 1993 model", the other dealer told me that "No way". What is your opinion? Do I expect any Transmission failure or any problem caused from Dexron?

Thank You.

Today, I went to Toyota service center who replaced Transmission oil before. They checked again and reported to me "C/R Check Trans Fluid Owners Manual Requires T-II Trans Fluid That was Installed with Trans Fluid". What is T-II oil? Thanks.