Drive Light Burned Out

sgriffith

On my inst. panel, the light that shines behind the D when in drive has burned out. While getting other service done, I asked them how much it would be to replace it....about 115.00!!!! I just couldn't pay that to have it done. Does anyone know how to replace that thing? I just don't want to tear anything up by taking the inst. panel out. I have done lots of installations in cars before & am experienced with taking off the dash and things like that....but I haven't tried it yet in an RX. Anyways, any info would be helpful!!! Thanks!!

I had a 92 Camry and replaced the "D" light. I haven't looked at my RX, but it being a Toyota product, you have to remove the instrument panel to get to these lights. It's not all that hard (removing the framing and instrument panel involves about 8 screws), it takes some time and patience.

On my inst. panel, the light that shines behind the D when in drive has burned out.  While getting other service done, I asked them how much it would be to replace it....about 115.00!!!!  I just couldn't pay that to have it done.  Does anyone know how to replace that thing?  I just don't want to tear anything up by taking the inst. panel out.  I have done lots of installations in cars before & am experienced with taking off the dash and things like that....but I haven't tried it yet in an RX.  Anyways, any info would be helpful!!!  Thanks!!

Saw this procedure to replace the D bulb on another forum. There may be a few errors in it. Anyone who has done the job please add your corrections or comments

1. Remove 2 screws at the top of the black bezel around the cluster.

2. Pull trim piece straight out on the left of the steering wheel, the trim that houses the seat memory switch.

3. Pull trim piece straight out that is around the key.

4. Tilt steering wheel all the way down.

5. Remove black bezel around cluster, start from the bottom and pull out.

6. Remove 2 screws holding cluster in. They are on the side of the cluster.

7. Pull cluster out enough to get your hand behind and unplug the 3 connectors.

8. Remove cluster from car, you will kinda have to move it around a little bit to get it out, be careful not to scratch the lens.

9. Lay cluster face down on a soft towel.

10. You will see a white plastic cover on the back, remove the 8 gold colored screws holding this cover on.

11. Pull cover off, turn the cluster over and look where the gear selector letters are, on the oppisite side you will see 3 black and 2 green little cap looking things. These are the bulbs. Simply unscrew to remove. you may swap the park light bulb for the drive bulb. Or you can order one in advance.

12. Put all together in reverse order.

13. It sounds like alot of steps, but it is all very easy and understandable once you start."

It's been awhile, but I think I just took the light from the "L" position and placed it in the "D". BTW, the steps 'riwyle' gave sound alot like the procedure I followed for the Camry. Again, not hard to do but take your time.

I just did it tonight and the instructions were great!! Took about an hour to get it all done. I just swapped it with another bulb that isn't hardly ever used. Thanks again for the great instructions.....they just saved me a ton of money!!

Wow...thanks for the great info.  I will be trying this when I get home from work.  I just hate looking down and knowing that a little light is supposed to be on & it isn't.  Thanks again!

Thanks for being my "Guinea Pig" :) I might try it myself now that I know the procedure works. Although, I do not find it a detriment to not have the light functioning. Mine was probable extinguished for a long period before I even noticed it was out.