Vibration From Rear End

threepwood

I have a 1992 LS400. Under acceleration at speeds over 70mph the back of the car vibrates. You can feel it most if sitting on the passenger side. It is not the tires, they have been balanced rotated and replaced. I broke down and brought it to the local Lexus dealer and after an inspection he said it was "most probably" the "knuckles" need replacement ($900) but that he would NOT guarantee this will solve the problem. If I want him to guarantee the repair he wants to replace everything in the rear end for $2700. Does anyone have any advice?

Hey threepwood: I would get under the car and start looking for cracked or worn out bushings. If your not a DIY (do it your self) kind of person, I would get another opinion. Did the problem start after the tires were put on, or was it there before? There are several topics here at LOC that will help you with this. I'm sure that members will come to this topic and give you pleanty to think about. :wacko:

I just found a topic about vibrations and from all of the responces it sounds like your problem could be your transmission mounts. It's an inexpensive fix, around $100 parts and labor from what I read.

Make sure to report back on what happens. B)

Threepwood,

I just replace my rear transmission mount about 2 weeks ago and that solved my vibration issue. I also have bad ball joints, bad struts, torn bushings and leaking front suspension. None of these problems contributed to vibration after the transmission mount is changed. The car was vibration free after just replacing the transmission mount so I'm sure that's your problem.

Thanks for your responses. I can a little more pieces to this puzzle that I forgot to mention. If I let up on the gas the vibration goes away as the car is coasting but comes back as soon as you hit the gas. There absolutely isn't even a hint of vibration below 65mph. Does this sound familar? I can do the engine mount myself, but I can't handle coil springs so this "knuckle job" is probably beyond me. Also, the problem has been with me a long long long time. Over 3 years. I live only 1 mile from work so I rarely use the car and only once a month drive it over 70mph. The problem was with me for the last set of tires, the current set of tires and even replacing each rear tire with the original Lexus spare one at a time made no difference.

Thanks for the help.

before changing the tranny mount, my vibration come at 68 mph exact. it goes away at 79 mph or above, and somehow is silky smooth beyond 90 mph.

Does your steering wheel vibrate also?