1990 Ls400: Code 13, Major Problems....

CGuava

Hey Guys,

My name is Christian and i'm from Colorado. this is my first time on this board b/c i'm usually on the forums for my other rig (4Runner), this is my dd and i haven't had problems until just recently:

I ran the diagnostic on my 1990 LS400 and got a code 13 which is a camshaft sensor. What is the element of difficulty in changing the sensor and also the cost?

Also got the code for my AFM, same question as above.

When driving the car will studder and be very jumpy while driving. When at lights the idle jumps from 1k to about 2k and eventualy dies.

Anybody have any indications or leads as to what this is?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Hi Christian... welcoome to the site -- hope all works out fine for you.

I cannot say exactly what the deal is, but the shuddering puts throttle body cleaning and tune up in my mind. So you might give those a try.

In the mean time, as you wait for better suggestion from more knowledgeable persons than me, you could try searching to see what comes up.

Best to you -- I have to say, I love that Colorado.

Was out there a few years ago while I was in the military and stationed at Colorado Springs.

many first Gen Ls owners have had problems with poor idleing and dying and such,, you can do a search in this forum and it will pull up many topics about this issue

first things to check for:

vaccum lines > make sure they are all connected properly with no cracked or broken hoses

ignition> spark plugs, wires (faulty or cracked wire, resulting in weak spark)

then bigger problems that could cause the problem ie....Maf sensor, bad ECU, ect...

i had this problem, changed my plug wires, and it got better, still looking to completely fix the problem, i searched my vaccum lines up and down, and finally found one that wasn't connected properly, connected it, and wrapped it in electrical tape, problem solved, idle smooth.

Another thing to check for on the idle problem is the idle speed control valve (see "crazy idle" thread). It's about a $700 part and I'm looking at having to replace mine this week after cleaning and attempting to adjust it didn't do the trick.

Hey Guys,

My name is Christian and i'm from Colorado. this is my first time on this board b/c i'm usually on the forums for my other rig (4Runner), this is my dd and i haven't had problems until just recently:

I ran the diagnostic on my 1990 LS400 and got a code 13 which is a camshaft sensor. What is the element of difficulty in changing the sensor and also the cost?

Also got the code for my AFM, same question as above.

When driving the car will studder and be very jumpy while driving. When at lights the idle jumps from 1k to about 2k and eventualy dies.

Anybody have any indications or leads as to what this is?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Hope this is helpful.

I bought my 1990 LS400 at ~129m. The last visit the PO had at the Lexus dealer was for hesitation, misfire. Turns out there was a loose connection at the cam sensor. The dealers solution was to replace the cam sensor AND entire engine wiring which would have been mucho $$$, but sheepishly admitted that just a ziptie might do the job. That's all they did and the car runs fine now at 133m.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

Great guys. Thanks for the help! Keep em' coming! had another mechanic look at it today and he said it was the air flow sensor (MAF). What are your thoughts? is there a manual adjustment? i seem to remember that i had some black smoke coming out of the exhaust, could i be running rich?

I tried the search feature and it kept giving me an error message so i figured i would post. Thanks!

Christian

the maf,,,yeah thats what i mentioned above that it could be.....i remember not too long ago another member had to replace the MAF sensor for that very problem

the dealer quoted him some outrageous price of like 700 bucks or something

i believe he either got a remanufactured unit or bought elsewhere, don't remember, but i do know he got it for a lot cheaper....but it wasn't too long ago so just do a little search.